Nirvana is a  term used to describe the profound peace of mind that is acquired with liberation.  It is the state of being free from suffering.

The word literally means "blown out" (as in a candle) and refers, in the Buddhist context, to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished. (loosely quoting Wikipedia here...)

So...I'm curious if you all believe that Atheists as a general rule are able to reach this level of liberation? Do you think it's possible for Theists to do so? Do you believe that all/most Atheists reach Nirvana? How do you know when you've reached it? Once you've reached it how do you know you'll be able to stay there? Is it just in your mind or is there more to it? What could be a scientific explanation for the state of Nirvana?....Do you believe that Nirvana is attached to any kind of religious dogma since it's roots are found in Buddhism? Isn't Buddhism a religion? If not, then why not. If you believe Nirvana is rubbish, then tell me why.

Views: 3212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll believe in Nirvana when you can show me it exists.

I'll believe in Reality when you can show me it exists.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :)

Really?!

....Are you not seeing this? It's right there!!!

Smoke DMT. You'll have your Nirvana, and be shown it exist at the same time.

Get out of town! 

You forgot to say "Simple Simon says".

Like this;

"Simple Simon Says, get out of town."

There ya go, that's better. :)

Except our Simon is not simple...

(Something he needs to work on)

:)

Here we go, I finally found it:

"Comment by Simon Paynton on Sunday
"Arch - give it a rest, frankly you're being a total asshole.  If you don't understand why, then I'm glad for your sake."

and,

"If you knew anything about that, you would now flush your head down the toilet."

Seriously, I'm not sure if anyone here has read Dr. Rick Strassman's book on DMT titled "DMT: The Spirit Molecule," but he has some interesting speculations. That what meditation may be is the natural induction of endogenous N,N-DMT. 

And isn't it peculiar that the experience of DMT as in the case of ayahuasca is closely described as the various mental states in eastern religions, such as samadhi, nirvana, satori, etc.?

I believe it's very plausible that this may be, in fact, the case and what may be going on during these colossal meditative altered states of consciousness.

Check with Joe Rogan.

Well, okay, but in Eastern religions, there's also something happening on the spiritual level not just the physical level (they believe in souls/spirits).

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 62 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 11 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 15 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 16 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service