Skepchick's huge controversy over late night proposition.

In case you are not currently aware, Skepchick Rebecca Watson attended some conference recently and, when she finally went to bed after talking for hours, found herself in an elevator with a strange man who asked her if she would like to go to his room for coffee to talk some more. In her recent video she said "Guys: dont do this...".

The problem is she is not really clear what the problem is. Some people are saying all men are evil rapists. Some people are saying she is over reacting to what was an innocent proposition. Having read a few of other peoples comments I believe the main problem was that she was trapped in an enclosed space with a strange man who just propositioned her and she declined. So the proposition itself was not bad(personally I would consider it flattering), but the timing and location of the proposition put her in uncomfortable situation. I think if he had asked her the same question in a more open space, she would of felt more secure that her answer would be heeded. Like if he asked her the same question just as she got off the elevator rather than when they were alone in the elevator, it would of not been such a big deal because if she says no: the doors close and they both go on their merry way.

What do other people think? all men are evil-psycho-rapists? she over reacted? what this guy did is totally fine?

Tags: elevator, feminism, propositioned, skepchick

Views: 424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have had a couple beers , I have no clue who I responded too , nor do I care right now :)  

Main point being , these 'skepchicks' think they are speaking for women in general , or else they wouldn't be using the name 'skepchick' , no? 

Like I said , I wish to start a new blog titled 'Skepdick' and call females out for what they do a lot that offends guys.  Like automatically assuming they want to get into your pants when they hold doors open for you or ask if you're 'ok' when they see you panicking outside in the street at night 

hehe, skepdick.wordpress.com or something like that? Might be useful if it actually focuses on equal rights rather than just men's rights or women's rights. Probably won't be received well if it is solely for ranting about woman lol.

For the record: I wish women would doors open for me for the sole purpose of getting into my pants...would be very flattering.

Also: a couple of beers?!?! it's not even lunch time here yet :P

I never said I DON'T hold doors open for women to get a close look at their backside , but ALL women?  No , not all of them.  Sometimes I'm just being polite.  

I agree , I would love it if women held doors open for me to get into my pants.  Maybe in a 100 years , that might change.... 

Over reaction from everyone. I didn't see her original video but read the account on PZ Myers blog post. On that, Dawkins over reacted & made a meal of it with a pretty sarcastic comment which was uncalled for. And then this whole incident took a life of its own with Jen McCreight berating Dawkins on her blog.

This incident got way more hits than it should've have.

Nice job of reducing the tons of nuanced debate on the issue to two black & white positions. Evil rapists, or overreaction? We report, you decide! Straw man much?

Evil rapists, or overreaction?

Is that what I said? NO! here is what I said:

What do other people think? all men are evil-psycho-rapists? she over reacted? what this guy did is totally fine?

The main question was what do other people think? the other three questions are examples of what other people have been saying in the comments of other blogs and youtube, posted as questions here to provoke a discussion.

I didn't see anyone claiming all men are evil rapists. This girl simply pointed out her personal discomfort with a particular behavior and asked if guys would please not do that to her. "Guys, don't do that... this makes me incredibly uncomfortable..." If anyone thinks that is an overreaction, they certainly don't ever want to see mine.

I agree it was probably not the proposition itself but the timing and location. If I were in a foreign country chatting with acquaintances in a hotel bar after giving a talk on sexual objectification of females, and I excused myself at 4am clearly stating I was exhausted and going to bed only to have a foreign stranger follow me into an elevator and proposition me, I'd be uncomfortable as well.

Your wording could have been much better, as Artor pointed out. Using phrases like "Some people are saying all men are evil rapists, what do you think?" is not the way to start a rational discussion. It reads like a headline from Fox news.

I agree it would probably make most people a bit uncomfortable. Do you think it was the proposition itself or the fact she was trapped in an elevator with the guy afterwards?
Was it the nature of the proposition perhaps? like if he had asked to catch up with her the next day for coffee in the lobby instead of that night in his room.
I'm just curious as to exactly what it was that caused all this... personally I see nothing wrong with the proposition and f
hmm, half of my post seems to of disappeared..... continuing from the end: from Skepchick's video I dont believe she does either.

See , that's the ridiculousness of her blog post.  The reader is left not understanding what she is complaining about.  The trapped in an elevator part , which Dawkins so hilariously refuted ... "All you have to do is press any of the buttons given to you and the door will open at the nearest floor" 

Or was she annoyed she was sexually objectified , as Dawkins also hilariously responded "I would be just as annoyed or more so if someone walked into the elevator chewing gum"  

I think she was saying 'Guys don't do that' ... implying to ALL women.  Not just her.  Which is what makes me a bit annoyed.  

I have the strongest gut feeling she means more by 'guys don't do that' , just as I have the strongest gut feeling the guy meant more by 'coffee' than just 'coffee' 

I could be wrong on both accounts , but that's why it's a gut feeling :)  

She followed up "don't do that" with "...it makes ME incredibly uncomfortable" and explained why.

She did not say that guys should never do this to anyone, ever, because it makes all women uncomfortable.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 2 hours ago. 32 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Noel 4 hours ago. 9 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 10 hours ago. 64 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 17 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service