Patriotism strikes me as being on an equal footing with God in terms of irrational thinking. And, of course, they are tightly intertwined in the American Right. 

An on-line friend sent me this (for strong stomaches only). How should I reply? She's a nice lady.

Views: 227

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sassan,

In your support I will acknowledge similar sentiments on the ILLEGAL immigration issue. I guess I will become the second Bigot on this thread. I have never understood the disposition of liberal Americans to cry foul about the civil liberties of a person living in our country ILLEGALLY. Why should I be concerned that millions of illegals who crossed our southern border are now taking advantage of legislative loopholes and dipping into America's cookie jar? It's preposterous that we offer any services to people living illegally within our borders!

When did we reach the point that it became necessary to accommodate a particular ethnic group of people? We now have dual language courses in many of our schools here in Arkansas. I have to press English or Spanish to begin an autoteller transaction at a local bank. Our county has maybe 1/2 of a percent of Spanish residents. Why not have French, German, and Chinese as well? The billions being needlessly spent makes no sense when were already broke. 

Spanish legislators in California were outraged that the California Highway Patrol was impounding the vehicles of those without drivers licenses. If you don't have a license what are you doing on the highway? It's ILLEGAL.

It's NOT profiling to pull a vehicle over and request license, insurance, and registration. Regardless if your black, white, or brown your butt is in trouble if the paperwork ain't kosher. It's not a civil liberties issue.

I have Chinese friends who own a local restaurant and they resent what is happening on our southern border. They did everything legally to become citizens. They learned our language. Hey, that's a novel idea! They spent thousands of dollars to get their relatives here and naturalized. Why have a double standard?

In Texas a local restaurant owner put a sign up outside: We ONLY speak English. Why? He and his wife and the rest of the staff did not speak spanish. Many were coming in that he could not understand what they were saying. Is this his fault? Hell no. When in Rome speak italian. Interestingly enough his customer business tripled after putting the sign up. 

I am not against people moving to this country and living out a wonderful life. That's great. But don't come here illegally and expect preferential treatment. And if you were impregnated in another country have the decency to give birth in that same country. Sheeez......

P.S. The liberal Democrats want to defend their civil liberties and the Republicans love um as a cheap labor source. So I think little will change in the near future.

Good points Ed, good points my friend. Like you said, Republican business owners want to use them as cheap labor and the extreme liberal left doesn't like American west culture or American "WASPS" (which is a bigoted word by itself) which is basically a self-hating mentality.

We have to learn from our European brethren and becoming realists on this issue or America will not have much of a future to begin with. Good to hear a rationalist atheist when too many atheists mix up the need to give up their own brains and thought processes to become puppies of the left because of their hatred of the religious right or anything that is "considered to be on the right". They have given up their own brains to think for themselves rather are stuck on ideologies.

Sassan,

I am politically independent but lean to the right on many issues like gun control/possession. Hopefully the tide will change and political correctness will finally take a back seat to good ole common sense.

Fat chance......    : ^ )

Ed

Yup...unfortunately...I am to the left on environment, separation of church and state, etc. and to the right on foreign policy and immigration...and on the middle in healthcare, taxes etc...but the most important thing is to be your own person and think for yourself like you and I seem to do. Nice meeting you buddy :).
Get a room you two! I kid I kid

I have never understood the disposition of liberal Americans to cry foul about the civil liberties of a person living in our country ILLEGALLY.

I've never understood the insistence of non-liberal Americans in framing it that way.  It is not illegal immigrants I am worried about with certain laws, but rather legal immigrants and fellow Americans that are harmed by them.  Also, there is the whole root of the problem not being addressed thing, too. 

What specific laws that are on the books right now are you referring to? And can you explain the harm it is causing?

The fact that a problem exists does not make it necessary to continue to allow individuals to live here illegally. My chinese friends abided by our laws and legal requirements when they gained their citizenship. To my knowledge we have not deported anyone who is legally inside our borders.

Would it be more palatable to just open our borders and let the masses run amok? Probably not. As a sidenote I would like to comment that during my tenure as a correctional officer in this state's prison system I had the opportunity to monitor individuals from south of the border who had committed crimes against our citizens. Rape, burglary, robbery, even murder. They were not here legally. They are costing the taxpayers millions to incarcerate. So yeah, I have a problem with what's happening.

As a sidenote I would like to comment that during my tenure as a correctional officer in this state's prison system I had the opportunity to monitor individuals from south of the border who had committed crimes against our citizens. Rape, burglary, robbery, even murder. They were not here legally. They are costing the taxpayers millions to incarcerate. So yeah, I have a problem with what's happening.

Again.  The framing.  It is like you people can't understand English when it comes to certain topics.

What specific laws that are on the books right now are you referring to? And can you explain the harm it is causing?

I'm not referring to any specific law that is on a book.  I was referring to proposed laws that granted law enforcement greater power to infringe on the rights of American citizens.  You dig?

Asking for id and checking the proper immigration status of people is  common sense and should be done at every traffic stop; when the government isn't taking care of border issues, local jurisdictions want to simply protect their state, citizens, and economy.
Just think through what you just typed.  Do it.  Give it some critical attention.  Let me know if any questions arise from your analysis.

Reggie, you seem to have a "framing" hangup of some sort. Is the content of what I say OK and you just don't like the presentation?

I don't consider it an infringement to be asked for proper identification while commuting on our nation's highway system. It is absolutely ridiculous to be willing to let illegals run amok because I don't want to be inconvenienced by the request of a law enforcement officer. Is it really that big a deal to show some paperwork?  Most would not object. I think you're in the minority on this one.

I support Arizona, Georgia and any other state that has decided to reel in these violators. Americans are fed up with it. This is why you see things changing. We've had enough.

So what papers Ed and Sassan would you carry? Birth cert, passports, emigration papers? This what is required in police states. They are talking about putting check points on the interstate system at the state boarders you think that is a good idea also?

Maybe you think it will just be Hispanics that they will check and leave you alone.

This a country that you are not guilty of anything without some evidence of some wrong doing but you two are willing to give up that freedom I suppose.

Just asking?

Any laws passed to regulate a group of people in this case Hispanics will become the rule for everyone cause of course we don't profile.

I just love people that think like this, give up their freedom and thank the government as they take it.

RSS

Forum

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by Glen L 3 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 39 minutes ago. 12 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 29 Replies

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Derp McChuckles 5 hours ago. 4 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 11 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service