Patriotism strikes me as being on an equal footing with God in terms of irrational thinking. And, of course, they are tightly intertwined in the American Right. 

An on-line friend sent me this (for strong stomaches only). How should I reply? She's a nice lady.

Views: 235

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

A fundamental American principle is the separation of Church and State. I'm sure we are all aware of this fact.

That being said, I feel that being an atheist is somewhat more patriotic than people who blindly allow their country to allow it's integrity to be pissed on just because they happen to believe in the same god as the monsters who are stealing from Americans and plunging us all into another dark age.

I love my country. This is easily one of the most diverse, beautiful, and enjoyable places on the planet; and I've seen a nice-sized bit of said planet. My answer to this question is a resounding NO. Why fight patriotism? I'm a patriot, I adore the people who live here because regardless of how ignorant or ill-informed they are, they still choose to exercise their right to free speech. People are assholes no matter where you go, just because America is currently run by a decent-sized group of pricks shouldn't take the luster out of our homeland.

If anything, i think more of us should stand up and defend our country from the zealots looking to turn it into a theocracy.

That is also weird to see the post 9-11 use of the word "Homeland." It is a pretty common practice in empires since the Romans got the idea I think to distinguish between the patria terra and it's conquered territories.

The overuse of the twin towers image is a clever psychological trick. It reinforces that gut emotional feeling of "we were attacked," making it all the more powerful.

You could ask your nice lady friend a few questions like:

Do you really think god is picking favorites? Why would he bless the U.S, out of all the countries?

Does she really believe there is a god who thinks the U.S is totally rad and wants to bless it?

I agree, mixing god with patriotism was a nasty tactic used in history which is not used very much anymore or even accepted.
God and patriotism serve the same function, security in numbers.
The nasty tactic is used every single day. You would have trouble finding a speech given to a public audience by a Republican candidate since 2000 that didn't specifically mention God and tie that to Love of America. The Right fosters them-and-us emotions - especially in the less rational segments of society.
You still haven't responded to my previous posts. I found what you said very offensive and disingenuous.
Good! (But I promise I wasn't being disingenuous. I'm quite sincere in my feelings toward fascist xenophobes.)

You are a racist yourself by referring to people as "WASPS" - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant- was it? Or implying that my viewpoints are based on solely on "trying to be one of them"? And your obvious blind bias towards America and the west. Is Ms. Ayaan Hirsi Ali a "WASP" too? Your profile says you live in New Zealand so you're not even American and you comment on American internal politics? And your claim that somehow because I am Iranian they would "wipe me out" should a war or some event happen in Iran is not biased towards the American people, the American system of rule and law, and a bit racist towards white people? I think I have figured it out; you are a white racist who is racist against white people who thinks that white people are the fault for all the evil in the world.

I know who you are!!! This fellow asking Hitchens a question:

It's truly amazing how, every time you touch your keyboard, you manage to make an even bigger fool of yourself than has already been established.

First of all, I'm FAR more of an American than you will EVER be. Secondly I appreciate the American paradigm more than you are even capable of doing. I was in the uniform of the U.S. Marine Corps during Viet Nam – a generation before you were even born. I know FAR better than you the contributions made by the United States to the world we live in. And LIKE Dr Hitchens (and UNLIKE you) I am acutely aware of the huge blunders made by U.S policy makers – including (but certainly not limited to) the Viet Nam fiasco. LIKE Dr Hitchens, I recognize Islamist extremism as the major factor causing world instability at this time. UNLIKE you, I further recognize that Christian fundamentalists, the idiots you cuddle up to, are every bit as evil at heart and are daily adding fuel to the fire. (If you're not a distance member of Rev. Terry Jones' group, I'm sure you are a devotee.)

You come onto an atheist board, you call yourself "white" (I mention that only to point out the irony that everyone sees but you), you prosthelytize on white racist philosophies which have their foundation in the God of the WASPs, you quote and recommend literature that makes Cheney look like Ghandi, you blather on endlessly in incoherent semi-English, you have the GALL to use members' medical and family history against them, and you wonder why nobody likes you.

I'm a pensioner. My time and my effort are very important resources to me. I have neither the time nor the energy to spend on utterly fruitless attempts to converse with someone who ignores everything said to him except a few cherry-picked words that can be twisted and used as ammo. I'm sure you'll continue to do whatever you can to annoy anyone with differing viewpoints from you. I already ignore most of what you write but, after your latest attack, no more of my precious time and effort will be wasted on you.

I will reply to your absurd post from last to first:

You come onto an atheist board, you call yourself "white"

Actually, we are all Africans and come from Africa. Saying this, being called "brown" is factually wrong. I am Iranian and Iranians are of the Indo-European race and we are "white". Sorry to break the facts to you buddy. On a census form I am considered white. Definition of Iran = land of the Aryans; these are just the facts. It doesn't matter one bit as we are all Africans and are of one race.

you prosthelytize on white racist philosophies which have their foundation in the God of the WASPs, you quote and recommend literature that makes Cheney look like Ghandi, you blather on endlessly in incoherent semi-English, you have the GALL to use members' medical and family history against them, and you wonder why nobody likes you.

You always fail to respond but I guess you count Ms. Ayaan Hirsi Ali as a white racist philosopher or no, maybe she is like me, "trying to be like them". Is that correct?? You clearly demonstrate your racism as if someone doesn't think like you with the irrationality and extreme anti-American and anti-west beliefs, and they are non-"WAMP" white, then they must be trying to "fit in with the crowd". And to claim anyone I posted were white racist philosophers is disingenuous and racist of you as well. I'm sure the type of people you like are the likes of Michael Moore, Gore Vidal, George Galloway, Noam Chomsky, etc etc....am I ringing a bell?

As for anyone liking me, I think I have demonstrated (to myself) that I stand for what I believe in regardless if I hold a popular opinion or not. I am not on these message boards to be popular whatsoever. When I am not studying, I have my own life away from cyberspace. I have come on here to interact with other atheists as it is rare to interact with other atheists but I have found that some of them like you tend to be the type of masochists that Christopher Hitchens refers to in the aforementioned clip. Again, for you to think any of the articles or links I posted (whether Somalian born Ms. Ayaan Hirsi Ali or the late Samuel Huntington) were "white racists" shows how naive you truly are.

First of all, I'm FAR more of an American than you will EVER be.

That sure seems a bit insecure of you to try to emphasize it like that. Again, it seems like since you are "white" and not of "Iranian descent" then you will be "more" American than me. A bit of racist intonations??

UNLIKE you, I further recognize that Christian fundamentalists, the idiots you cuddle up to, are every bit as evil at heart and are daily adding fuel to the fire. (If you're not a distance member of Rev. Terry Jones' group, I'm sure you are a devotee.)

I don't recall ever cuddling up with Christian fundamentalists. I do remember stating that in comparison to Islam, Christianity is rather benign and most Christians don't take their faith seriously. In addition, Jesus Christ as a symbol (whether he was a real person or not) is a much better role model than the child molesting, murderous genocidal pedophile in Muhammad. In addition, Christians are not as violent and do not represent the threat we face by Islamic fundamentalism. I think Mr. Hitchens says the same things in regards to this issue. To claim that Christianity is as evil as Islam in the current context of the 21st century is naive and ignorant.

All religion is evil no doubt including Christianity (especially at its root) but I will close by posting an article which I posted on a blog as well which is of breaking news of an incident that happened in Ukraine; yup European Ukraine...truly heartbreaking and please let me know when Christians act like animals the way Muslims do; I would be interested to check it out...

NYDailyNews.com

World

Beauty queen Katya Koren stoned to death by Muslims for being in pageant

Tuesday, May 31st 2011, 11:21 AM

Katya Koren, 19, was stoned to death by three Muslim men because she participated in a beauty contest, officials say.
via Facebook
Katya Koren, 19, was stoned to death by three Muslim men because she participated in a beauty contest, officials say.

A would-be teen beauty queen was stoned to death after her participation in a Ukranian pageant reportedly infuriated local Muslim youths.

Katya Koren, 19, was targeted by three fellow teens who said her seventh-place finish in the beauty contest was a violation of Muslim laws, according to British newspaper reports.

One of the suspects, identified as 16-year-old Bihal Gaziev, told authorities that he had no regrets about the stoning because the dark-haired Koren "violated the laws of Sharia."

The teen's battered body was found buried in the forest near her village in the Crimea section of the Ukraine. She had disappeared a week earlier.

Koren, described by friends as a stylish dresser, finished seventh in the beauty pageant. The British newspapers said the girl, just like her attackers, was a Muslim.

Stoning became a major international issue last year when an Iranian woman was sentenced to die by the barbaric method after her conviction for adultery.

The woman had killed her abusive, drug-addicted husband - and was sentenced to serve 10 years for the killing. The adultery charge carried the death penalty.

But the woman's life was spared after an international appeal for mercy, including a request from the Vatican for clemency.

lmcshane@nydailynews.com

Do you fancy George Galloway, Noam Chompsky, or both?

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 26 minutes ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 3 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 10 hours ago. 27 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 19 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service