I'm going to beat Unseen to this one!

So Eric Holder in a recent Congressional hearing has left the door open to preforming a drone strike against terrorists on American soil in an "extraordinary circumstance."

From CNN:
"Attorney General Eric Holder is not entirely ruling out a scenario under which a drone strike would be ordered against Americans on U.S. soil, but says it has never been done previously and he could only see it being considered in an extraordinary circumstance.

He began to winnow the list of those possible extraordinary circumstances Wednesday. In testimony Wednesday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, pressed Holder whether he believed it would be constitutional to target an American terror suspect 'sitting at a cafe' if the suspect didn't pose an imminent threat.

'No,' Holder replied."

Given the fact that there are people out there who want to kill us, who want to die for their cause, and who label themselves as an enemy to America, do you think that they Attorney General makes a valid point? Might there be some circumstance where a drone strike is the best option to prevent even more loss of life including that of law enforcement? Is he just plain wrong and this can't be permitted at all? As Senator Paul is now filibustering on the Senate floor and making the point, is there zero room for a lethal military/law enforcement drone strike on an individual? Might there still be a comparison with the use of lethal force by a police officer to a person that is known to be armed, dangerous, and looking to kill?

Tags: Congress, Constitution, Drone, Eric, Holder, law, strikes

Views: 798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check with the Israel, they have a system that works.

this shouldn't even be a question for the american people to ponder.

what don't you understand?.. american people should NEVER be a target for a drone strike on their home soil, that's just insane! and it's sad that there's even a debate about it.What kind of world is it when people have to wonder about being attacked by an unseen,unheard machine,being controlled by someone who could very well be your neighbor. This isn't the america i grew up in.

And allowing hundreds or thousands of innocents to be killed if the trade off is, say, a dozen or so innocents in a drone strike?

To me, that isn't even a difficult dilemma. 

Like extreme positions, they can only be maintained by not examining the facts and available options. 

Like the prohibition against torture. If torture were the last resort in discovering facts to stop a nuclear weapon from being used on an American city, would the government who proclaims it's against torture use it in such an extreme circumstance? Of course they would, and few would blame them. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Or... The greatest good for the greatest number.

Or the greatest good for the best moneyed?

Will this only stand for 'other' people, but not for you and yours?

Well, I don't think anyone would be happy if something bad happened to their own loved ones.

I'm sorry, but they're not MY missiles!

What are we going to do with our deeply well trained war gamers, but give them the tools for 'real' death?

A grandson of ours, plays lot of war and death games, since highschool. He recently got a security job where he gets to carry a 'GUN'. Our family knows him as the kid that threatened to kill himself just a few years go, just to get back at his father for taking his guns away! He is a gunho, 'kill the rag heads', bigot, and now he has another gun with a badge to hide behind..

@ BlackGravity,

This isn't the America i grew up in.

Nor I.  And that was the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis when we actually came very close to a nuclear exchange with the Soviet Union.

I simply cannot understand why anyone would trust the same people who said there were "Weapons of Mass Destruction" in Iraq, to weaponize drones in American skies.  The fuckballs who run this country are the reason other people on this planet want to kill Americans.  When American drones fire missiles into wedding processions killing men, women and children, it kinda of pisses off their relatives.

This country has been messing in the affairs of other nations for way too long.  There are a lot of people in the world that don't like us for good reason.

I think it's time American starting behaving like a Big Brother instead of the world's Biggest Bully.

BTW.  Your name is way kool, is it a play on Dark Matter?

The U.S. government was lied to by a formerly trustworthy informant about the WMD's. Add to that the fact the Saddam didn't exactly go far out of his way to dispel the idea and it was a train wreck all the way around. 

I wonder what the larger group is, the group of people who hate us or the group who would give anything to be able to say "I'm an American." 

Maybe you can find one of them to trade places with you!

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service