In my opinion, a person should be able to charge for services that they can give away if they want. Who are they hurting? Two or more consenting adults make an arrangement that is between themselves.

Why is it that women and men for that matter, are still being  controlled by governments in the bedroom? Is the bible or religion running our societies? 

Who or what decided on things that are moral or immoral?

Just because a person doesn't want to do something themselves, I for one, doesn't give them the right to "Preach" to others what to do..

Tags: freedom, government, morals, religion, sex, women

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not going to quote you again, but maybe you should look at your posting and see the word "morality" clearly present in it.

My Libertarianism? When did it become mine? I'm registered as independent and think for myself.

I apologize for the misleading statement "The US needs more libertarians" I had actually tried to remove that with the "edit" button because I do not consider myself a libertarian, nor do I agree with the extent to which they would minimize the government. However, I am using an awesome computer, purchased with taxpayer's money years ago, running an amazingly old Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and the internet connection provided via satellite is painfully slow (yes, I'm currently deployed onboard a US Navy warship). So I'm sorry, I should have deleted it and rewritten, but I'm sort of time-constrained.

I don't fully agree with the Libertarian Party, but I think that just like the Republicans and Democrats, they have some interesting points to make. As someone who was a conservative Christian and followed the Republican Party, I have just recently liberated myself from religion. As an atheist I suddenly find myself without a political party to follow.  Not that I fully agreed with the Republican Party before.  We have to take each issue separately, but for some reason in this country we like to polarize everything.

I agree with much of what the Republican Party stands for (try to find any official mention of "God" on the GOP website). What I can't stomach is the religious nuts who are defiling a great American Party (the same which abolished slavery and first passed civil rights bills in the 19th century). How did a political party which poineered such important advancements come to be a vehicle for the religious-right? I don't quite know. Political parties are used as vehicles for special interest groups. It is a corruption of America's political system.

I can't agree with the banning of gay marriage, and I'm glad to see there are some Republicans who feel the same (NY State's decision).

I disagree with the Democratic Party's direction and their constant belief that government exists to solve everyone's problems. The socialization of healthcare is not something I agree with. A lot of solutions that are appearing hold no ground. I would consider myself a conservative not because I'm resistant to change, but because I am skeptical. I'm not going to jump into some new idea just because it sounds good. There are a lot of good ideas which sound good, but in reality are counterproductive. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I guess my political dilemma would be better discussed in it's own posting. I'm sure many here would disagree with my political leanings, but I guess that organizing atheists really is akin to "herding cats".

I would prefer prostitution be legalized but heavily controlled. Age requirements, required STD testing every six months, and required to use condoms at all times.

Yes.  Let's require everyone to use condoms at all times.  How do you propose we enforce that?  Sex referees?  Cameras?

LOL... really... Big brother is watching us in our back yards... tomorrow our bedrooms, next the bathroom, why not... you might do something in there that's not good for you...
They could always do what's done with legal brothels like the Moonlite BunnyRanch in Nevada and require that stuff like this be done in secure institutions with cameras or some sort of easily-activated alarm installed to ensure the safety of the workers. Maybe a bracelet of some kind with a button that could be pressed to summon security.

As for the condoms..offer them for free at the counter.

Also, 'sex referees' made me laugh. Kudos.
Perhaps we should also have a sex coach, sex cheerleaders, and sex audience :P Just don't turn it into a team sport or it might get expensive!

Well Dr. Del Toro i suppose you would prefer a state of anarchy then. Right, that would make us a great society like we had in the LA riots or post hurricane Katrina.  In theory anarchy would be great, but in practice in a country like ours it would fail miserably.

Don't presume to know my political beliefs. I do not condone anarchy.

Prostitution has been legal in places and times in the USA.  The Union Army in Tenennesse and Louisiana administerd the brothels and the incidents of veneral disease PLUMMETED.   For a woman especially to have control over her own body is anathema to women who prefer subjugation by males and males who cannot abide un-subjugated women.  Men, religion teaches them, are in authority over the woman, her body and desires. 

On this I am a libertarian of the first order.  People are allowed to prostitute themselves if they choose.  But they are also responsible for their actions.  Disease and abuse can be nasty by products and it is not societies responsibility to always come to your rescue when you "roll the dice" with your body. 

I very much detest "victimless crimes" that remain on the books.  Placed there by fuddy duddies that believe they have a stranglehold on the truth.

Hi Nolan - I agree entirely with your sentiments.  But (no point in posting otherwise!) I never associate myself with libertarians, even if I might overlap on some issues with them, because their majority of their views are so appalling for the majority.  The libertarians I have met (only a few - we don't get so many in the UK), espoused views which work just fine in a world of 3 people.  Thereafter suddenly they seem selfish and utterly childish in fact.

I think my views on this are just plain liberal. Folks should be allowed to do what they like while those actions don't hurt others.  And if you have to manufacture hurt to society (which the religious do on this subject) then there is no real meeting point for a discussion.

Cheers

"I never associate myself with libertarians, even if I might overlap on some issues with them, because their majority of their views are so appalling for the majority.  The libertarians I have met (only a few - we don't get so many in the UK), espoused views which work just fine in a world of 3 people.  Thereafter suddenly they seem selfish and utterly childish in fact."
What??? Maybe you need to see the real world, and please stop generalizing .
Prostitution should not be illegal in any way, shape or form. A woman can do whatever the heck she wants with her body.

Well, that clears that up. Time for tea.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by kris feenstra 3 hours ago. 156 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.