"Responding to an outbreak of measles that has infected more than 100 people, two California lawmakers said on Wednesday they would introduce legislation to end the right of parents in the state to exempt their children from school vaccinations based on personal beliefs."

"California public health officials say 92 people have been diagnosed with measles in the state, many of them linked to an outbreak that they believe began when an infected person from outside the country visited Disneyland in late December."

"More than a dozen other cases have been confirmed in 19 other U.S. states and Mexico, renewing a debate over the so-called anti-vaccination movement in which fears about potential side effects of vaccines, fueled by now-debunked science, have led a small minority of parents to refuse to allow their children to be vaccinated."
(Source)

-------------------------------

Should parents be allowed to exempt their kids from school vaccinations because they "personally believe" discredited claims about side effects? Why or why not?

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get something (exemption), lose something (may not attend schools, go to public places, etc.).

We may not be able to view anti-vaccers as just cranks anymore. They are a threat to public health.

Let me throw a wrench in the works for a moment. What about the significant group of citizens who home school their children? Should they be required to subject their children to the battery of vaccinations even though they don't attend public schools? Should the home schooled children be allowed to participate in such secular activities as youth baseball programs where they are coming into contact with others? 

If the non-participation by anti-vaxers can be shown to demonstrate a public health hazard for our communities in general then legislation, criminal or otherwise, is required. The ramifications are too serious to ignore.

No. Parents should be obliged to vaccinate their children for essential vaccines.

Just as a parent is obliged to bring in their child to the hospital if they've broken their neck.

It's only because of religious woo, a history of religious exceptionalism, anti-vax-nuttery and some post-modern concepts of bodily autonomy that we give parents a little more leeway over vaccines. Somehow not inoculating your child is different to not making them wear a seatbelt or other simple basic obvious rational clear-cut safe and reasonable preventative measures. Somehow not giving your child safe and essential preventative treatments is less important than giving them emergency treatment.

Nonsense. They should all be inoculated regardless of what school they go to or how useless their parents are. Not doing so is allowing parents to abuse their children because of their selfish, deluded stupidity. And worse it puts other children at risk.

I agree that the decision carries a great deal of responsibility. To the anti-vax parent they believe they are protecting their children by not participating in vaccination programs. They are misinformed unfortunately.  

"my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

We seem to value specific knowledge over a well rounded individual. I was chatting with some intelligent younger people a few weeks ago; their lack of knowledge about recent history and geography was shocking to me.

Yes. And the mother of the Canadian girl who died of Cancer thought she was protecting her daughter by stopping the chemo and sending her to a woo-clinic in Florida. 

The  two cases contrast only in the likelihood of death. Otherwise there is absolutely zero difference.

Let me throw a wrench in the works for a moment. What about the significant group of citizens who home school their children? Should they be required to subject their children to the battery of vaccinations even though they don't attend public schools?

No, but it should be illegal for their kids to go where people gather. Their parents' house will be the bubble in which they should have to live.

Absolutely

Should they be required to subject their children to the battery of vaccinations even though they don't attend public schools?

Presumably, the children also attend other densely populated places such as malls, church, playgrounds, etc. Disease is not only transmissible in school.

People’s “personal beliefs,” insofar as they hurt society and the health & safety of other people should never be given even the slightest respect.  And that includes religious beliefs.

I think they should be able to say no to vaccines, but then they should also be barred from entering any populated area. If you want to be a part of society, get vaccinated... if not, there's the (metaphorical) door.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service