Unless you've been living under a bridge for the last couple weeks, you should be aware that things have heated up with a huge increase in rocket attacks from Gaza into urban areas in Israel, launched by Hamas Palestinians. Israel has been replying with air strikes that have killed civilians because the missiles have been sourced in residential areas.

Israel is now talking about the need to put boots on the ground in Gaza pretty much going house-to-house, which will likely kill even more civilians.

Attempts are underway to bring about a diplomatic solution, but assuming the future will look like the past, many would argue that's a waste of time.

What are your thoughts?

Tags: Gaza, Hamas, Israel, Palestinians

Views: 678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think Iran and Al Quaeda are doing everything they can to stir up unrest in the Middle East, so that Islamic Fundamentalists can use the turmoil to establish a toehold in the concerned countries, and that Iran in particular, is working to stir up Middle Eastern public opinion against Israel. I agree Israel needs to be able to defend itself, but it also needs to take great care to do so in such a fair and equitable way, that even the Arab countries will agree that Israel acted appropriately.

It's hard to imagine any Arab countries patting Israel on the back for anything. It puts Israel in a damned if they do and damned if they don't situation, which pretty much leaves them open to do what they have to do. 

At the same time, in retrospect, the creation of the state Israel was probably one of the stupidest ideas in the history of mankind.

RE: "It's hard to imagine any Arab countries patting Israel on the back for anything." - which one could consider a bit strange, in light of the fact that except for Iran, they all for the most part, share a Semitic ancestry. But then, we of Western European ancestry, shared that with Nazi Germany, so possibly it's not so surprising after all - no one squabbles more than family members.

RE: "one of the stupidest ideas in the history of mankind." I suspect that mass, collective guilt over the Holocaust may have played a part.

They've had a Semitic history for a long time. I'm not sure how much that common ancestry makes them feel all warm and cuddly.  

Should Israel invade Gaza? 

Of course not!

What are your thoughts?

The solution is easy.. It should be two states there one for the Palestinians and the other is for the Israelis.. Jerusalem will be the capital city and it must be divided too!

It's now time for both Arabs and Jew to grow up and learn from history!

I'm so sick of innocent people dying in the name of God!

You expect them to put up with a constant rocket barrage?

Your solution isn't a new idea and doesn't seem to be motivating to the two parties.

I think ultimately it's going to be the last man standing solution.

RE: "ultimately it's going to be the last man standing solution."

"One Tin Soldier Rides Away?"

LOL! maybe you're right! :D

They're not going to resolve anything peacefully. Hamas was founded on the self-stated goal of carrying out "Allah's promise" by hunting down and exterminating the Jews. And Hamas is very popular in Gaza.

-----------

The Hamas Charter, Article Seven:

"...[T]he Islamic Resistance Movement aspires to the realisation of Allah's promise, no matter how long that should take. The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, has said: "The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, (evidently a certain kind of tree) would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews."

-------------

The best hope might be for a cease-fire that holds long enough for a generation to grow up without knowing who to hate, though that won't be for their parents' lack of effort. But even that isn't much of a hope.

Speaking about (Jews will hide behind stones and trees)

I agree that these disgusting prophecies are the reason for that hate..

Also, I'm sure that there are Jewish sacred texts that encourage hatred too.

The Old Testament is full of hatred too..

For the Muslims:

Here is the verse that I think that Hamas believe in..

//If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, Transgress ye likewise against him. But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves.//

Israel began that violent by assassinating Palestinian leaders..So, according to that, Muslims must react..

The solution is easy.. It should be two states there one for the Palestinians and the other is for the Israelis.. Jerusalem will be the capital city and it must be divided too!

Israel was willing to do this.  All they needed was palestinian recognition of Israel's right to exist (which if you think about it is implicit in a two states solution.

The Palestinians refused.

Israel violates the cease fire with casual regularity, and can't claim any kind of moral superiority in these situations.  Hamas is a little more selective about it, but the whole thing is still punch trading with no end in sight.

The best thing that the US could do is pull all aid from Israel.  Large chunks of it just gets funneled back into the US military/industrial complex to feed the Israeli war machine, or into AIPAC to help maintain leverage on our insipid political class.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service