Should illegal drugs be legalized? I want to hear your thoughts.

Should illegal drugs be legalized? I want to hear your thoughts. Me personally, the responsibility is with the citizens to do them or not.

Tags: drugs

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The quote clears a lot of things in my mind.
I tend to agree with you Cass.
I would rather see our society deal with the problems of blanket legalization than not dealing with the problems of illegal drugs (the current situation).
I agree completely, why repeat history, we already learned our lesson.  Cocaine and other drugs were freely available for consumer purchase at any store and it became a huge problem.....No need to go there again.

"Cocaine and other drugs" were never made illegal because of any "huge problem".

They were made illegal for strictly political purposes.

Well please tell me T A A,What then was the reason for the opium wars?
Yes indeed,  how were the Anglo-Chinese wars NOT political events, hmmm. A few generations earlier after the Confucian philosophy/religion had declared being stoned to be unConfucian... more politics. It's always politics.
Statistically, there is no doubt that a significant portion of the population is not, and perhaps can never be, responsible.  The only question is whether there is reason to believe that portion is significantly large with regard to a particular behavior and what harm will result because of that from each of the public policy choices.

Homo sapiens have been using drugs since the 'dawn of times'. Only in the past few decades have they been illegal!!!!!

Coffee was illegal too when it was first introduced to Europe, political leaders of the time considered it as a political agitator and destabiliser.

I totally agree that the education system needs a lot of improvements. Maybe we could redirect all the prison and police money to improving education. Seems a lot sounder to me.

If we can take the billions of dollars that we're spending on fighting drugs, and turn it towards education, then I think we'll be able to moderately improve the situation. However, knowing us, we'll probably just make it all legal at once.

Didn't the same thing happened with the Prohibition ( where alcohol was illegal ). If you rank those substance on 'addictiveness' alcohol ranks top 3 ( top 1 and 2 being Heroine and Cocaine ). You can examine with your own eyes what alcohol does and extrapolate them with drugs also.

I am in a state of cognitive dissonance on this matter. I do not agree with drugs/alcohol/tobacco but my realist part kicks in and tells me that banning them makes things worst. I will monitor this thread more closely.

[...]

do not agree with drugs/alcohol/tobacco[...]

that could be simply a reflex vestige of an old way of thought influenced by religion? I have no friends who are "heavy users" or who are "addicted", I've always found the monkey on my shoulder aspect very unappealing, but that goes equally for nicotine/alcohol/prescription drug use. The only distinction with illegal "drugs" is that politicians and certain corporations had financial motives to make them illegal. Nicotine to me is a disgusting habit.

I use prescription drugs as little as possible, and mind-altering substances... recreationally, which means maybe a dozen times a year. Never touched meth tho, and wouldn't.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service