I'm a 6th grade Social Studies teacher.  The topic of religion as a part of culture comes up all the time.  Today during a discussion of Greek myths, a student (a 12 year-old girl with a sweet smile) asked me if I believed in god.  I paused and said, "Well, sure."

I felt that I was having a discussion with a child about Santa or the Easter Bunny.  I didn't want to be the one to tell the child that all the adults in her life have been lying to her.

This has been bothering me all day.  When this comes up again - I'm sure it will - should I lie as I did today, or should I tell the truth?

Views: 3535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't beat yourself up. It is a hard situation to be in and I would've probably done the same thing. If that little girl had gone home and told her parents that her teacher didn't believe it could've started a downward spiral.

That story reminds me of when I shed my 'faith', except it was 4th grade. I didn't ask if my teacher believed in a god, but learning the Scientific Method the period pretty much cemented my newfound non-belief.

"You might want to tell the girl that her family is not exactly lying, because they believe it themselves"

That's slippery slope when you are in a teaching position

Well, that falls into the separation of church and state. She works for a state institution of learning. In my opinion something like that could get you fired and one's opinions about religion or politics should be left out of the equation.

Unfortunatly, things like these are hard to determine considering the hidden curriculum. There are many things that teachers are forced to teach upon children. Depending on the situation of the work place for you it may be okay to actually question god to your students. I don't see why in the curriculum we are told to teach about god and the bible and what it means for the most part yet we cannot raise questions and disbeliefs about it. It really all depends on your work environment and if those types of things will be allowed in the classroom... which they definatly should be.

This is where we differ '. It really all depends on your work environment and if those types of things will be allowed in the classroom... which they definatly should be."

I don't think it should be allowed in public school systems unless it's a class on theology as an elective. Religion has no place in public schools and government.

Well that's exactly what I was getting at. Of course religion should not be inforced in a public school system. It should be something of a choice, and not forced upon children. I was referring to atheisim in school systems. If our children are forced to learn about religion they should learn the contrasting views about it, and not just what the bible teaches.I do agree with you that religion should not be in the public school system or the government because yes it has no place.

What are your feelings on teaching evolution? I mean.. a theory, disproved over 4 decades ago... countless modern discoveries that lead to intelligent design.... The acknowledgment of people like Dawkins who say,"It appears that everything has intelligent design," I mean.. don't you feel sickened that you are teaching these kids a bunch of false theories that are only kept around to not stir up trouble? 

Yes it appears that everything has an intelligent design--like a "Blind Watchmaker"----The problem is that when we {the intelligent ones) create something, the product, when mass produced all work alike and are rarely defective. Take a look at Nature and you will not see precise replication -- we see lots of errors, some see better than others, some are not as smart as others, nor as good looking, or as functional etc etc.

An intelligent design is us who has evolved carrying a lot of miscues.  And God is us--we made him (it) up in order to explain the unexplainable.  

And what trouble is one stirring up when teaching evolution? I think I know--someone may ask why did Jesus not tell us about atoms, our universe, or even why cleaning prevents infections--would he not have known this?

If  you think -- "thinking and questioning is stirring up trouble" you are in trouble. 

AMEN

Can you really be fired for sharing the fact you are an atheist? They wouldn't fire you for being a christian or muslim though?

This is ... sick.

I am glad to have met a few teachers that were open about who they were and authentic, for good or for worse, but it made them "real" and they left an impression. 

It is a sick world out there. Just try to acknowledge you are an Atheist among the masses.Sit in a local diner "Other than in Woodstock, VT or Yachats, OR with people you know. let me know how you fare.

I must admit though that as a health care provider, I have never had a problem when asked what my religious preference was in the event of a Medical emergency. 

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Davis Goodman 57 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 9 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 19 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service