i need some help in how to respond to my older sisters religious bs
she has thrown in my face that i am huring mom b/c i don't believe and i refuse to go to church
i moved back home to take care of her b/c of she has cancer.
my older sister and little sister are coming on easter and they are all expecting me to go to church, do i go agaist my values and go or not go?

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would not go. You can reinforce the "personal relationship" thing that christians claim they have with their god substance, and simply state that you don't share that relationship with them. Your lack of a relationship with a god substance would have no impact on theirs, so it is irrelevant to anyone else's happiness.

My solution to this was to go to church and let everybody know that I didn't believe a word that was being spoken from the pulpit; that I would not recite any prayers; and that I would not bow my head.  I did stand when the others stood, because I detected no connotation of religious practice in that act.  I attended church regularly for several years for complicated, NON-religious reasons; and I don't believe I compromised my values by my mere attendance.  Everybody knew I was an atheist, through and through, and avoided talking to me about it, because I assaulted them with logic.

That being said, if you feel that church attendance would go against your values, please don't go!  Betraying your values is unacceptable.  If I had to choose between living without my values and living without my friends and relatives, I would unhesitatingly choose the latter.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 36 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service