Is changing ones sex after following the prescribed standards of care wrong? I've discussed this issue with many of my Christian friends and have received a mixed bag of responses but most regard changing ones birth sex as wrong. I'd like to hear some of your feelings on this subject.

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's great.  If anything, I'd like to see greater facilitation of gender reassignment where possible.  I would also like to see greater progression in our understanding of gender identity (and sexuality on the whole) from biological and psychological perspectives.  As it stands, it feels like our popular notions of gender identity are largely predicated on assumptions and antiquated ethical considerations.  'You are what you were born as!  Make more babies!  Stop being different; it scares me!  Rawr, rawr, rawr!'  Why?  What is the actual consequence to gender reassignment motivating those not receiving the procedure to protest?

The motivation is that they feel that god makes every living thing perfect.

Well, except for baby boys in which case he kinda regretted that foreskin,

but everything else he made perfect.

Well, except the congenitally deformed but that only happens because of evil,

Well, except for species that only survived due to advantageous genetic mutations,

Well, except for species that went extinct because of failure to adapt,

but EVERYTHING ELSE he made perfect.

So with all that perfection, who are we to go about questioning gaawwwwd?

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Well, except for every single living organism on the planet that wouldn't fit in Noah's boat,

Well, that's a really good point, but you have to take into account that the process of reassignment itself is really, really neat.  I feel like that alone is justifies defying God.

Oh, well from the perspective of fitting it into the context of a literal interpretation of mythology, it doesn't seem that Yahweh would oppose it at all since he actually prescribed a cultural ritual of body modification, specifically of the genitalia.  Many prominent imams also think that sex reassignment doesn't violate the will of the creator being.  So I don't think this is actually a case of defying a god, except perhaps Xenu who has some funny ideas about psychology and medicine.

Anyway, as far as being 'neat', I'm not sure I share your feelings.  If they could actually establish reproductive functionality in the inversely constructed genitalia then I might be more inclined to so share.  As it is, it seems like a rather harsh thing to go through in order to be recognized as being the person you already know yourself to be.

I would agree that it would be neat if they could in fact establish the reproductive functionality in the Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS). For many I believe there are the benefits of having genitalia that correspond with their correct gender inaddition to just simply being able to wear (and look like everyone else does) the clothing of that gender.  Perhaps this is a bit course but imagine going to the hotel pool in a nice one piece and not having the proper genetalia. Most people just want to blend in and be allowed to be themselves without being the topic of jokes and finger pointing.
Yes, I agree that it is great that we can offer some surgical intervention that helps, even if it isn't a perfect solution.  I just think there is a lot more to it than a surgical procedure though and all the other social, familial and cultural reconciliations seem to get obscured by that singular 'defining step' of sex/gender transition.

"If they could actually establish reproductive functionality in the inversely constructed genitalia then I might be more inclined to so share."

That would weigh in somewhere considerably past 'neat'.  From where we stand now, I'm pretty sure that would be miracle science.  As it stand, I think the wide scope of surgical and non-surgical procedures available for the process are actually quite remarkable.  

"As it is, it seems like a rather harsh thing to go through in order to be recognized as being the person you already know yourself to be."

It depends on what you are talking about.  There are numerous steps and facets to the entire procedure.  Some aspects are unduly burdening, but for the most part, I see the process as our best efforts at easing the discomfort for those who were dealt a bed hand to begin with.  I'm hard pressed to characterize that as harsh.

Well ok - if you consider the whole of what can and is being done and not just the surgery itself then I can agree that it is neat, and a very remarkable development of modern civilization.
Thanks.  For a while I wasn't sure if the list was ever going to end.

I agree with you Lee. Love and sex are brain functions. I also agree with Heather when she states that there are so many other factors that come into play when one comes to the realization that their outward gender expression in incongruent with their inner being. I would hope that when an individual decides to undergo SRS that many of those social, familial and cultural issues have been addressed.  SRS is in no way the beginning of the transition process nor is it the end of that process.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service