If we as a species were forced to evacuate this planet and go colonize on another planet would that be Unnatural? Is humanity even intelligent enough to not make the same mistakes we made on this planet? If not, then is it immoral, taking into consideration we'd just be to repeating the same social patterns.

Tags: Earth, Humanity, colonize, immoral, space, species

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was actually pondering something similar to this. The Catholic Church has a history of having to slowly adjust to the new developments in Science. The oval earth rotating around the sun was a strong pill for them to swallow. Wasn’t it like in the 60s that they even acknowledge that earth is round?
So if humans are populating other moons, planets, and space stations…. How does this affect their glorious belief in the end of days/Revelations? If/when judgment day comes… is that going to affect the humans living elsewhere in our solar system? I don’t think “John” had that in mind when he was pulling that book of Revelations out of his ass. I guess, to be more precise - Will religions follow us off this planet? Will religion adjust as it always has been pathetically trying to do with the advancements of science? Well – it was brought across the Atlantic to the new world, why would space be any different.

IMHO by the time we as a species are ready to colonise another planet, religion will be long gone.

I hope so. We need to get off before the egregious global warming kicks in; before we are attacked by Chinese-backed al Qaeda scuba-divers. 

"IMHO by the time we as a species are ready to colonise another planet, religion will be long gone."

One would hope. But, as Jason above said, religion continues making poor attempts at manipulating the pieces of new scientific discoveries into their jigsaw of a doctrine. 

Here is my response, in context:

If we as a species were forced to evacuate this planet and go colonize on another planet would that be Unnatural?

Well, it would depend upon your definition of "unnatural", and to whom it would be unnatural. I guess objectively speaking, it would be unnatural in that it would not be our home planet, so "setting up shop" there would undoubtedly require some compromises and sacrifices. So the simple answer is: yes, it would be unnatural - to us, and to whatever indigenous inhabitants are already there.

Is humanity even intelligent enough to not make the same mistakes we made on this planet?

No. We never remember history, so we're doomed to repeat it. Over and over. Humans love to fight, love to fuck each other over, and feel a sense of entitlement towards everything within their realm. We'd fuck it up, just like here - eventually.

If not, then is it immoral, taking into consideration we'd just be to repeating the same social patterns.

Once again, depends on your definition of "immoral". Immoral to whom? Think about it - even today most atheists view the actions, by and large, or the religious institutions in our midst today to be "immoral." And if we repeat the same (or similar) social patterns, then so what? The entire reason we'd move to a new crib is survival of the species, hands-down. I would imagine we would learn some lessons from "take one" on Earth, so hopefully we wouldn't dick up "take two" as quickly. I would also hope that our progeny would do better than we did (hey, I'm an eternal optimist - what can I say?).

Species propagate, grow, expand, and settle in new areas. It's natural behavior. Once we outgrow this planet and its resources, we will settle another, if we are able to. Seems pretty natural to me.

If we continue to outgrow this planet and its resources to the point where we are "forced" to evacuate, then clearly we will not be intelligent enough to avoid making the same mistakes on another planet. However, if the alternative to settling another planet is remain here and die as a species, I fail to see the immorality in moving to a new world. Perhaps we will no longer even be human by that point.

I don't believe there is such a thing as "unnatural" the word is oxymoronic to me. As is the word "Supernatural". Everything we can possibly do, experience, perceive, think, feel, etc.... can only be done, experienced, perceived, thought, felt, etc... if it is a part of nature. Therefore. Everything is natural and there is no such thing as unnatural.

Well natural has many meanings. In the sense the OP used the term, I do think a future of exploration of space and settlement on other planets is a natural human progression. However, the term "unnatural" can also mean as found in nature and not involving anything made or done by humans in which case, many things are certainly unnatural.

I do however, agree with you on supernatural. There are things science has figured out, and things we have not figured out yet. When we do figure them out, they will conform to the laws of nature.

In order to be intelligent enough to escape the egg basket we call earth... we have to overcome certain obstacles such as harnessing and cultivating energy without fossil fuels, creating a balanced and sustainable ecosystem, and learning to travel unspeakable distances. These skills we must learn in order to live independently of our planet...

And think about this for a minute...

Some of these skills are the root of all of our problems right now. OIL for example is the cause of war, environmental pollution, global warming, economic imbalance, the energy crisis. That is why alternative energies are so important.. so much more important than most people know. Not just for our planet.. but for our future on other planets. The great thing is... once we've solved these problems we will travel to our new planets with a solid foundation on how to live there sustainably. We will have learned from our mistakes.

So yeah, in order to survive on a new planet we must already know how to live there harmoniously. We must already have learned to live here harmoniously as well.

Techno-optimism.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Ed 19 minutes ago. 28 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Pope Beanie 49 minutes ago. 65 Replies

Why do we want to show people they are wrong?

Started by Haugurma in Small Talk. Last reply by CAPTAIN OBVIOUS 1 hour ago. 49 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 5 hours ago. 31 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service