Hey guys! I haven't been very active since I joined this site back in September, but I felt the need to comment. :)

I just started college as a freshman earlier this year (at a public university,) and for the past 4 1/2 months I've been seeing signs everywhere advertising for the Christian/Catholic groups at school. I try to be tolerant of the religious posters I see all over the place, but it's been bothering me for quite some time that there haven't been any atheist/agnostic or even any other types of religious clubs on campus.

Just today, I saw a flyer with the name 'Richard Dawkins' on it out of the corner of my eye. After taking a closer look at it, I found out that in our University Union on Tuesday, there's going to be a showing of his documentary, "The Root of all Evil," with a discussion afterwards. Apparently, this is going to be the first meeting for a secular group starting up on campus. Needless to say, I'm excited for this :) Hopefully, there will be a good turnout and lots of people will show up. Maybe I'll actually be able to make some friends at school who share my beliefs.

Then I started wondering; has anybody here been a member of a group like this in high school or college? If so, did you enjoy being a part of it?

Tags: college, group, school, secular, university

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed with the turnout... There were only about 8-10 people there (and we have about 6,000 students that attend my university) and everyone except me and one other person was a returning member.

I think it was because of the way they chose to advertise. The "president" of the group said last year they tried advertising for an atheist/agnostic group, but the posters got vandalized and torn down, so they had to change it to secular... Honestly, I don't many people at my school know what that means.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service