Material/physical science could confirm or eliminate various religious claims that should be detected in the material world.

When the Hindu claims that a certain mountain range in India is actually a huge snake under the surface, science can falsify that. If the revealed portion of their religion demands that the snake hypothesis is true, then that "revelation" is false and the Hindu is in a dilemma if he wants to keep his view.

The Christian example of a 6,000-year universe is a case wherein the revealed portion of the religion does not demand a "young earth" view. Since the Hebrew language in Genesis allows (and seems to indicate in places) an old universe, the Christian can embrace that view in keeping with the evidence.

If tomorrow we discovered indisputably that the universe is only 6 to 10 - thousand years old (that ain't gonna happen), I would shrug my shoulders and say I guess the young-earth view was correct! It's not an essential of the Christian Faith but is a peripheral issue.

But in what way could the science you're talking about detect God himself? If God exists, he is immaterial, timeless, and spaceless, etc.  Science is therefore limited to investigating vestiges or indications of God predicted by theism or the revealed portion of the religion(s), but then any speculations as to what can be inferred by scientific studies moves out of the realm of science per se, and into the realm of philosophy.

So what are some things that Christian Theism would affirm or predict according to both Natural Theology and Revealed Theology that science could investigate? Examples would be:

• A finite universe.
  • Widespread belief in God or an ontologically ultimate being.
  • An enduring "religious" interest and nature innate in every culture.
  • Intricate design in the universe from the Big Bang to biological systems.
  • Widespread belief in objective moral values and duties.
  • Archeological discoveries of sites and artifacts crucial to the claims of Christianity.
  • Historical confirmations and indications of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.

Secondly, even if certain scientific discoveries lead to considerations that God exists, it requires further philosophical/theological speculation as to which of the World Religions has the best candidate for God.

Finally, as a Christian Theist, I think scientific discovery will progressively confirm the following predictions:

• Continual confirmation of cosmological models that require an absolute beginning (even in the case of multi-verses or oscillation).
  • Neurological studies that indicate mind and brain interact but are distinct to the extent that mind is not reducible to brain (or physical components).
  • Further discoveries of conditions and constants in the Big Bang itself that are fine-tuned for intelligent life.
  • No discoveries will conclusively overturn the historical and archeological confirmations supporting the origins of Christianity, but will continue to affirm it.

Tags: Christ, Christianity, archeology, falsification, neurology, of, predictions, resurrection, scientific

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He kind of disappeared shortly after that so maybe you actually got him thinking.  Crazier things have happened - although I would be hard pressed to name any.
If only it were that easy all the time, right?
Indeed.

Thanks.

That is the annoying thing about arguing with these people. You think you have 'em but they either avoid getting into that or skirt around the issue with circular answers. Its a big let down.

God in the most raw sense [no attributes attached] is a word. And unfalsifiable statement, therefore, it is not science. There are many other unfalsifiable statements but what makes the unfalsifiable agnostic god so unique is that it is unfalsifiable because, if examined closely, the agnostic god is a non-concept. In this sense, the word "god" [devoid of any attributes or specific religious claims] is a meaningless word. To demonstrate... in the environment of God devoid of religious presumptions you could say "God" and I could say "Kathugala" and we would both be understandable on the same level... that is... not at all. In order for "God" to have any meaning, the religious must attach attributes to God specific to their interpretation... and... when that happens...
then God IS FALSIFIABLE and science can, and does, falsify it.
Why do you think that the religious retreat into the unfalsifiable safeholds of "it's a faith thing" or the agnostic God? They are using Ad Hoc Immunization fallacy techniques to make God untouchable when he seems in danger of being falsified.

I am not failure with any historical and archeological confirmations of Christianity. Can you provide some examples? I'm not looking for known historical locations and events mentioned in the bible, but events and archeology that specifically confirms Christianity. Keep in mind that a typical Tom Clancy novel is admittedly a piece of fiction  while at same time mentions real-life events and locations. I'm also not looking for examples that would affirm any particular religion, but rather confirmation that Jesus had himself tortured and killed to allow the forgiveness of sins.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 5 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service