Any strong opinions about the philosophy of Anton LaVey? Personaly I find it a bit conservative, like Ayn Rand with a little red mascot. I think that the eleven Satanic rules of the earth are funny more then meaningful.  

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has some interesting ideas to it, but I certainly wouldn't start calling myself a Satanist. But in saying that I really don't have any issues with others taking upon that title. 

It certainly illustrates the negativity of Christianity and its hypocrisy 

I feel like it places a lot of faith in structures like government, it even calls itself a religion, and then it pushes the good old personal responsability-might is right- the best rise to the top mythology. They think victims of society seek victimhood and slavery but I think it is thrust on them by overhead structures that have degradated people over generations until they can no longer think for themselves. I don't think the right answer is to condemn the lowley people, I think the answer is to assault the structures that keep them lowley. The satanists are like "Oh I see through the lies of the opressors, but others don't and that funny". I don't think it's funny, I don't think the opressers deserve credit for their "success". Satanism, like Ayn Rand, is atheism wrapped around a turd of a philosiphy.

Yep I agree, it has its negative parts, as most other religions do. 

LeVey guarded his privacy very carefully despite being a very public figure in the 60's and 70's, especially in the last years of his life. I have read one supposed "authorized" biography of him, although it is best to remember that he wasn't above lying about his personal history. I guess that makes him a good satanist in a way. My suspicion is that for the most part he was having a rip roaring laugh at our self-righteous culture, 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What a ride!

Started by Strass Strass in Small Talk 52 minutes ago. 0 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Unseen 6 hours ago. 52 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by _Robert_ 7 hours ago. 82 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service