Any strong opinions about the philosophy of Anton LaVey? Personaly I find it a bit conservative, like Ayn Rand with a little red mascot. I think that the eleven Satanic rules of the earth are funny more then meaningful.  

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has some interesting ideas to it, but I certainly wouldn't start calling myself a Satanist. But in saying that I really don't have any issues with others taking upon that title. 

It certainly illustrates the negativity of Christianity and its hypocrisy 

I feel like it places a lot of faith in structures like government, it even calls itself a religion, and then it pushes the good old personal responsability-might is right- the best rise to the top mythology. They think victims of society seek victimhood and slavery but I think it is thrust on them by overhead structures that have degradated people over generations until they can no longer think for themselves. I don't think the right answer is to condemn the lowley people, I think the answer is to assault the structures that keep them lowley. The satanists are like "Oh I see through the lies of the opressors, but others don't and that funny". I don't think it's funny, I don't think the opressers deserve credit for their "success". Satanism, like Ayn Rand, is atheism wrapped around a turd of a philosiphy.

Yep I agree, it has its negative parts, as most other religions do. 

LeVey guarded his privacy very carefully despite being a very public figure in the 60's and 70's, especially in the last years of his life. I have read one supposed "authorized" biography of him, although it is best to remember that he wasn't above lying about his personal history. I guess that makes him a good satanist in a way. My suspicion is that for the most part he was having a rip roaring laugh at our self-righteous culture, 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 22 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 1 Comment

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.