Ronda Rousey on cover of Aus. Men's Fitness magazine

Found this article this morning and instantly thought Belle would be interested to hear about it... may as well make a discussion.

The Article

To summarise, Ronda Rousey has been put on the cover of a men's fitness magazine in Australia. Personally, I don't think she has any business on the cover of a magazine dedicated to men's fitness. Usually, the models used are fairly buff looking, fit, men. i.e. inspiring role models for men looking to get into fitness or read up on the latest stuff. Ronda, while deserving of her fame, just doesn't fit the normal model for this magazine.

It's worth noting; Australia also has a Women's Fitness magazine. Ronda would be a perfect candidate for the cover.

So the topic of discussion is this: Is putting a woman on the cover of a men's fitness magazine a good idea?

P.S. posted to Art category as that sounds most appropriate. Mods please feel free to move it elsewhere if desired.

Views: 742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe women should just stop trying to be better than men and get their damn faces out of places they don't belong. And while you're at it...this soup is too salty. Make it again.

Maybe women should just stop trying to be better than men and get their damn faces out of places they don't belong.

I don't think you understand. I'm all for women trying to be better than men at something, particularly in a male dominated competition. I'm just saying if you have two seperate competitions, you can't say your the best of both unless you compete against the top of both and win.

And while you're at it...this soup is too salty. Make it again.

What on earth are you talking about? I don't even eat (drink?) soup.

You are essentially saying then that NO woman can EVER be the best.

I'm also saying that no man can ever be the best too. I'm also saying that that's ok. Ronda is at the top of Women's MMA... I'm just saying you can't say she's at the top of MMA as a whole if she hasn't even fought the men at the top of Men's MMA. Likewise for whoever is at the top of Men's MMA, they are not the best at MMA, they are the best at Men's MMA.

You consider brute over skill apparently.

I consider logic over illogic. It's not about would she/could she beat a man. It's about categorisation. She can't be considered best overall (and neither can anyone else) until they demonstrate that they are the best by entering direct competition with the best of both categories.

How typically male.

I thought you would know me better than that.

Ronda has beat most of her opponents in less than a MINUTE!!!! No other UFC fighter (man or woman) even comes close to that! How can you then say she's not the best (at this moment?)

Ronda has beat most of her opponents in less than a MINUTE!!!!

Which is irrelevant when you claim she is the best in MMA... She's clearly the best in women's MMA but we can't say she's the best in Men's MMA.

No other UFC fighter (man or woman) even comes close to that!

Which is why I would actually really like to see how Ronda would compete against the top men in Men's MMA. She probably can't match most of them in terms of physical strength but she may well have the skill to overcome that.

How can you then say she's not the best (at this moment?)

Read above. She may well be best but no one can say she is until it is demonstrated in competition.

Logic...I think you've missed how Belle qualified her sentence. She said that it showed that women can be better than men at combat sports. She put CAN in all capitals. She didn't make a generalized claim that the average woman is better than the average man at combat....nor even that the average combat sportswoman is better than the average combat sportsman. 

What she meant is (and correct me if I'm wrong Belle) is that one of the best women at combat sports can beat one of the best men. Tennis is a good example where men and woman are separated strictly by gender because on average...a lower ranked man can usually beat a higher ranked woman, mainly because of their serve and return power. That doesn't mean that a top woman cannot beat a top man. Remember when Billie Jean beat Bobby Riggs? When Pamela Reed won the ultra marathon...she beat dozens of top male runners at one of the most difficult endurance competitions.

I'm NOT saying Ronda can Beat men (and even though she possibly could she Herself would not ever fight a man on principle.) I am saying, of ALL the fighters in the world, no one is Better at their craft, more efficient, more consistent, and more well-rounded than Ronda (women or men) She just won "BEST FIGHTER" OVER FLOYD MAYWEATHER" for a reason. She is THE best fighter in the ENTIRE UFC! No man has shown the level of skill she has.

Why the fuck SHOULDN'T she be on a magazine cover for fitness that's geared towards men?

Because she's not a man and therefor not an appropriate role model for men looking to get fit and/or build a male physique.

Ronda Rousey is the first woman to show that women CAN be better than men at (male dominated) combat sports.

Has she? Last I heard, no one would actually put a fight together between her and a top male UFC fighter, although I don't follow such news so I wouldn't know.

Because she's not a man and therefor not an appropriate role model for men looking to get fit and/or build a male physique.

Matt...stop pretending to know who the readers of the magazine are and what they want. You have no clue. Go ahead and write the magazine and ask them (nicely) to give a breakdown of who their readers are and what kind of articles and images they are looking for...and compare it with your broad generalizing assumptions. When you're done...the only excuse you'll be left with is...a woman doesn't belong anywhere near something that has the work Men in it.

This only helps make my point: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wl83FarWu34

Holly IS going to win this fight however, and throw the biggest monkey-wrench in history. Nov 14th IS the fight of the century.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service