Hello Heathens,

So, I finally went to see the new Les Miserables musical. I read the book some years ago, and I always knew there was a good share of religiosity in the story. I've seen some movie versions of it, and most of them don't slap you with a cross at every scene. As an atheist, I found it disturbing how religiosity is portrayed as the only source of 'moral' guidance. The musical also portraits how the religious 'moral' guidance can be twisted to fit once views, mostly seen in the character of Javert. We also see the somewhat secularism of the young revolutionary students.

Since Les Miserable has a world wide appeal, and it's a classic piece, what do you guys think? And, how would you guys review it based on its religious/moral messages?

Tags: Apeal, Hugo, International, Les, Miserables, Morality, Religious, Reviews, Victor, books, More…in

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say what I'm guessing the people involved at some level or another in the production said at some point. These are the tools at the characters' disposal, this is the world they were born into and the conditions that determine who and what they are. Furthermore, while I see portraying these characters' worldviews as potentially somewhat relateable can be a set-back, I see any portrayal of religion in the past, as a thing of the past, as satisfyingly appropriate.

My skeptical review can be found here:

http://skepticink.com/tippling/2013/02/05/les-miserables-a-skeptica...

I agree with the disturbing slant on morality.

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 5 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by Glen L 3 hours ago. 4 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 4 hours ago. 12 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 8 hours ago. 29 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 11 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service