Hi all....I'm BAAAAACK!  My name's Melissa.  I joined T/A some time ago, participated, and enjoyed it a lot before deleting my account a few months ago.  Why did I leave, you ask?  Well, allow me to explain.  When I originally joined I used my full name, just like it asked when I registered.  Silly me - it didn't occur to me that it would be my username.  So I had no idea that it would be used it publicly!   Well, recently I started job hunting and realized that my T/A page was coming up under a Google search for me.  Yup, you guessed it, I wussed out.  I didn't want any prospective employers to find me on an atheist social networking site, so I deleted my account. 

I know, I know, I'm a chickenshit, but I just didn't want to take any chances.  We atheists are the most hated minority in the country after all, and I do need a job, so I felt it was the best thing to do.  But there's still a part of me that feels like I should have stood tall and come out of the closet fully. 

See, I'm one of those people who believe that the more of us who come out of the close then the more we'll be accepted (eventually).  Main stream society just doesn't know enough of us - we're like this dark mystery to people and they don't trust us.  The more of us they get to know, the more they'll see us as regular people.  Eventually - over time - some of the trust and fear will start to lessen. At least I believe that's something that would help.  So the question is why the hell didn't I stand up and walk proudly out of the closet? Easier said than done. Still, I feel like such a wuss. 

Anyway, I'm back and looking forward to taking part in discussions again.

Tags: atheist, out of the closet, workplace

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Back! I understand where you're coming from.  It amazes me how people look down on us just because of our non-beliefs.  They say we dont have morals yet most of the prison population are christian.  They say we are the evil ones yet their bible preaches hate, murder, rape, incest, abuse, torture, slavery, etc.... Hopefully in the near future WE are the ones who are looked up to because WE made sense of it all.  They look down on us for how we might raise our children yet they brainwash their children into thinking if they are not good or dont worship their jealous god they will burn in hell for all eternity. THAT sounds like child abuse to me. Anyways, Welcome Back and you are always among friends here

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service