I'm new here and there is a lot of possible reading.  My interest was captured by a topic looking for responses to the famous, "what if you're wrong" question and I have posted there.

I am interested to know how people respond to the smug last word that many theists seem to get when they end a discussion/debate with either, "God bless you", "I'll pray for you" or a combination of the two.  I have been working on my response and, depending on how irritated I am as the discussion closes, I generally say either: -

"I cannot give you anyone elses blessing but I wish you health, happiness and prosperity"

or (if provoked)

"I cannot give you anyone elses blessing but I wish you health, happiness, prosperity and freedom from delusion"  (The ones that don't become apoplectic generally just blink in speechless amazement ;)

What does everyone else say?

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thankyou for that Jean Marie; I feel that you show great perception and compassion.

I think that the 'coming out' idea only partially applies to me because, in fact, most of my family and close friends are either Atheist themselves of very non dogmatic believers. I have had no fear of any backlash against me for declaring my Atheism. I think, for me, it is more about a crystalising of my own identity and ideology. I have recently taken the time to read Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens and Dannet among others and I guess that this has thrown a little fuel onto the angry fire but on the whole, I am only angry if accosted by someone who has an intention of converting me, particularly as, when I say that I'm Atheist, they seem to assume that I haven't thought things through. I think that my desire for a thought out response to "God bless you, I'll pray for you", is because I wish it to be clear that I have thought about my beliefs. I have found the responses to this thread very useful, particularly your own contribution. I think that, in light of the opinions expressed here and if the phraze in question is spoken casually without a barb on their part, I will moderate my response. However, anyone trying to convert me will still get my more barbed response in return.

I completely understand this. I have had the same thing with preachers or missionaries but most commonly i get this from family trying to convince me. I also find it very smug and somewhat annoying.  Because of this my normal response to "ill pray for you" is a rather unkind "and i will continue to ignore it" and to "god bless you" i normally go with a non-committal "indeed".

I also get the odd "well who is looking after you if you don't believe", "who do you give thanks to" and "well don't worry god loves you anyway". I hate all of these but the last one especially. There is a sense of riduculous self-importance about it that drives me crazy!!

I don't really have a problem with god bless you. It's meaningless, just like saying 'Jesus Christ' when you hear something remarkably stupid.

But I'll pray for you is a bit more complicated if:

I'm ill - "You'd help me so much more instead if you could get *insert drug* from the pharmacist for me, please, since i'm not fit to leave the house"

I'm sad - "I reckon going for a beer would be a much better idea."

I'm worried - "I'd rather be reassured"

Sometimes just saying I'll pray for you is almost like a 'get out of jail free' card when someone needs their help. I'd never just say "I'll think of you" if one of my friends was going through a rough time. What good is that going to do? Bugger all.
I suppose I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.

I didn't mean "I'll think of you" in the goodbye sense though. I probably overlooked that because I've never heard people say "I'll pray for you" unless there is something up, not always something major I might add. It might just be the attitude in the city I grew up in, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Plus I'm usually very hands on and I try to sit people down and talk to them as soon as I can and usually the results are almost immediate. But once again, I reckon that might be due to my upbringing.
It has been over 65 years since i departed Catholicism. I didn't really become active & militant until I retired about 23 years. Protests at State Capitol, DC Cap., The White House, churches. letters to the editor - 100s - MOSTLY published in many papers etc. Through all this I made many friends & a few enemies. I cherish both. It has been FUN !I've had visits from the Morons, Jehovahs Witlesses, etc. I kept Atheist literature at my door for those presenting me with theirs. (FFRF non-tracts ) Now, I find comfort & joy in Atheist sites as I await my own departure from the field of battle. Hang tough - Time is on OUR side.
I have several at the ready as I debate JW and Born again all the time. Here is a recent one.

Theist: I will pray for you.
Me: I would prefer if you would sacrifice a goat as prayer never seems to be answered.

Theist: I pray daily and god answers me. (Stupid pious grin appears).
Me: Oh really? Can you ask him to grow my friends arm back please? He is a good Christian but can’t bless himself properly with one arm so that could be why god does not answer.

Theist: God does not answer everyone.
Me: So I heard but you said he answers you so could you ask him on my friends’ behalf please?

Theist: Hmmmm, ok so. (Stupid grin has gone).
Me: Thanks. Hopefully it will be grown back in a few months.

Also at the goodbye stage the words of Dave Allen comedian - "May your god go with you." They are never sure if you are being polite.
LOL, Loved it. You can pray to a stone & get every bit as good a response as prayers to the late JC.
"I'll pray for you"

Me: "Generally, speaking to yourself is considered a psychological deficiency"
Then I'll offer to refer them to a personal doctor I know.

Then they have this shocked "I can't believe you just said that"

Then I feel all warm inside.
I say nothing, honestly they probably don't even pray for me anyway. It's just a hollow attempt at coming off "Christian" to them, smiling in the face of adversity.

baring false witness against themselves

It's a tricky one. On the one hand, having someone think nice thoughts for you is a positive thing really, so it's genuinely an innocent statement I'll just say thanks or not even acknowledge it. If they are trying to make a point I'll genuinely tell them not to bother, or that the FSM will touch them soon so not to worry.
In fact actually, I think this is the best response I've heard so far!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/sep/06/christopher-hitchens-as...

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 34 minutes ago. 133 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.