Research seems to indicate that American cops shoot WHITES at a higher rate than blacks

Academic research on police shootings and race

The percentage of homicide victims who die from police shootings is greater for whites and Hispanics than for blacks. Twelve percent of all white and Hispanic homicide victims in 2015 died from police shootings, based on The Washington Post’s shootings database, compared with four percent of black homicide victims.

And police officers are at greater risk from blacks than unarmed blacks are from police officers. If we accept at face value The Post’s typology of “unarmed” victims, which I discussed yesterday, the per capita rate of officers being feloniously killed is 45 times higher than the rate at which unarmed black males are killed by cops. And an officer’s chance of getting killed by a black assailant is 18.5 times higher than the chance of an unarmed black getting killed by a cop.

Also worth a read.

From The EconomistBut looking at the Black Lives Matter campaign in detail raises some worrying queries. For example on its website, the group claims that “every 28 hours a black man, woman, or child is murdered by police or vigilante law enforcement.” That is a deeply questionable claim. According to the Washington Post, which is running a tally, 155 black people have been killed by police so far this year—out of 607 total. That is not quite one every 28 hours—but no matter. What is important, however, is that less than a tenth of this total was unarmed, 24 of whom were black. So to state that every black person killed by a police officer in a country as violent as America is “murdered” is inaccurate. Sure, 155 people killed by police is too many, and 607 is a problem, but of those who were black 85% were armed.

Any comments?

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He might have had a weapon cop-planted, or, he might have had one in the car, etc...its an open carry state.

The chief admitted that the police video doesn't show him pointing a gun at the officers, but doesn't say if there was actually A gun in the video.

The wife is saying to get out of the car so they don't break the windows, THEN starts saying "Don't you do it!" to her husband.

So, my conclusion is that she realized he was going to at least fight, and, was telling him not to...but, I recognize that she MIGHT have been warning him not to draw on the police too.

So, with a bunch of police screaming for him to get out of the car, if he went for a gun, or anything that looked like a gun BEFORE getting out...its a pretty good guess things had escalated to the point where the black officer fired.

I find the idea that the cops planted a weapon in this case very unlikely. His wife and daughter (and maybe others) were there and I think every cop nowadays knows that a camera could be rolling in any situation. Just from them yelling "Drop the gun" 10 times, I accept that he had a gun. His wife may have not known about it, but shooting a guy is bad enough in today's climate. To be caught on video planting a weapon seems too big a risk to take. The conspiratorial option, that the cops agreed among themselves to pretend he had a gun just so they'd have a pretext to shoot him is even more farfetched. 

He was blasting a blunt, while sitting in a car, while legally carrying a weapon, while black.

Being a user of drugs that are illegal under federal law makes you a prohibited possessor when it comes to firearms.  (That's tripping up many users of Colorado-legal pot when they try to buy a new firearm.)

Upon conviction for smoking that blunt, the man would have lost his concealed carry permit and the firearm.   So yeah, he was legal...for now, and not likely to be for much longer.

*edited to add, a "possessor" means just holding the firearm in your hand.  If you're a prohibited possessor and we go to the range, I can't even lend you my .22 to shoot.

He would presumably have lost his job as a security guard. How a guy who spent six years in prison gets to become a security guard (which I assume requires SOME sort of licensing and background check) is another story.

When the cops show up and yell at you to "Drop the Gun!", then DROP the gun moron. Darwin Award Recipients.

Well, apparently he had brain damage, and, well, was not acting like the sharpest knife in the drawer to start with.

Rolling a spliff in front of a bunch of cops for example would not be considered a well thought out action either.

Being black I'd give a pass on, I don't think he was allowed lee way on that.

So, probably, just a poor schmuck in the wrong place and the wrong time doing the wrong things...getting shot by some poor schmucks in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong things...

As for the "gun", if they thought it was a gun, and yelled to drop it, and he was trying to say it was in the glove box and went to show them, etc...stupid shit happens like that in real life.

There's no limit to the variations of that story.

The recent 12 year old with the bb gun shot in the playground was told to put his hands up, and not to go for the gun...but, the 12 year hold didn't put his hands up, and pulled the bb gun...and got shot.

Guys get shot for trying to grab their pants to get dressed when raided the same way, etc.  People don't always think clearly in a surprise scenario...they panic.

Cops do too, hence the mess.

Rolling a spliff in front of a bunch of cops for example would not be considered a well thought out action either.

They were in plain clothes.

As for the "gun", if they thought it was a gun, and yelled to drop it, and he was trying to say it was in the glove box and went to show them, etc...stupid shit happens like that in real life.

The recent 12 year old with the bb gun shot in the playground was told to put his hands up, and not to go for the gun...but, the 12 year hold didn't put his hands up, and pulled the bb gun...and got shot.

Guys get shot for trying to grab their pants to get dressed when raided the same way, etc.  People don't always think clearly in a surprise scenario...they panic.

Cops do too, hence the mess.

I heard something recently that got me to thinking. We often hear that "the cops want to go home to their family at night, so we give them leeway in dangerous situations."

Why don't we apply that to firemen? "Grandma's in the back bedroom and can't walk. Please save granny, please!" "I'm sorry, Miss, I want to go home to my family tonight. Let the old fucker burn to death."

But firemen risk their lives to save not just people but even pets from burning homes. Why should cops be held to a different standard?

That's a point that's been made repeatedly.

The fact is that firemen DO get told by their supervisors to not go in sometimes because its too dangerous.  Sometimes, they decide on their own, because if a roof collapses on you, you can't save anyone anyway, and, your buddies might then die trying to save you, etc.

So, both want to get home to their families.

Both DO risk their lives on the job, perhaps not as badly as commercial fisherman, etc, but both cops and firefighters get killed or injured in the line of duty on a daily basis.

If you've never been shot, or shot at, and, are holding a gun, and, see someone "on the other side" with a gun...its a very tense scenario.

Cops with good training and experience can handle it, and do.  The decision regarding when to escalate and when to back down is not easy to make.  Its not hard to be wrong.

When wrong, an unnecessary death or injury can result.  You don't want the dead or injured to be YOU.  (Unless going for death by cop type scenarios, etc)

Both cops and firefighters can be truly heroic in emergencies...but they are both often TOLD "not to be heroes".

Some took the job to BE heroes though.  Some because they just wanted some excitement, or were megalomaniacs/pyromaniacs, and so forth.

:D

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service