So here's a question. At my university, in the student cafeteria (the one that you have to go to if you live on residence) there is a halal grill. For those who don't know what that is (I didn't until about an hour ago) it's where they serve food that is acceptable to the Muslim code of conduct. They don't have a big muslim population (with the exception of the cooks) at the school and my question is, should I be offended by this? Is having something religious like this appropriate? They don't have a kosher grill, or anything for any other religions even. I'm not even sure how I feel about it, I just know I don't like it.
Does anyone think I should make a fuss about it or should I just ignore it?

Views: 762

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are several choices so I'm not too worried about it being there. Animal products being slaughtered in the name of Allah is weird to me, I suppose it's sort of the same level as kosher food though. I would imagine it's more expensive to have to go through the process. Personally I'd like to hear the reasoning for going out of the way to run this grill. It's a little strange over all

Halal and kosher food isn't typically more expensive than conventional food. Most kosher and halal foods are certified at the level of the company producing the food and the cost of certification is minimal in comparison to the cost of say complying with the FDA. At least the people who certify food as kosher or halal don't have to have their own private bathroom. For many companies why not have kosher or halal certification mark when the food you are producing is already kosher or halal? Ever checked the label on your jar of pickles? How about your box of rice and so on. Many of these foods are labeled as halal or kosher. Most of you probably ate halal or kosher food today and didn't even realize it.

http://kosherfood.about.com/od/guidetokosherfoodlabels/ss/symbols.htm

That is really what it boils down to.  Are the expenses of the concession appropriate for the number of people for which it is made?  Does it assist with providing incentive to enroll more muslim students to get the demographics balanced?  There are a number of ideas that need to be considered.

Here's another reason to avoid halal meat thanks to Edward Presswood who commented.

It shows a comparison to the regular bolt gun method used by the west and then the brutal way of killing animals for their holy halal meat. Don't watch this if you have a weak stomach, it's seriously disturbing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQOKQ__3vQw

I think it's now a moral issue for me, I don't mind eating meat, but not when an animal has to suffer like this. Is one persons religious preference enough to justify the brutal slaughter of animals like this?

My University does something similar, we have a section in our hall where each night is a different entree from various backgrounds. Crazy food that I have no idea where I would buy it from for a family dinner, let alone in bulk to feed thousands of students.  

What upsets me is that my roommate suffers from  Celiac disease, a conditions where she physically cannot eat gluten, bread, pasta, cereal, flour, nothing. And it wasn't until this semester; that they added a gluten-free corner for students in her position. But it's like, frozen pizza, peanut butter, and rice noodles...... that's it.
They're getting all fancy to try to appease other religions when there's students who physically cannot eat the other foods offered.

Most ethnic food is cultural, not religious. It's sad for those with such severe digestive disorders who can't sample the delights of the wild variety of cuisine available, but it sounds like your university has an awesome dinner program!

It's not like anyone is being forced to partake of the halal food it's just another option available. Food at my university was labeled halal, kosher, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, low sodium, contains fish/shellfish and so on so that everyone knew exactly what they were eating and so could avoid the things they didn't want to eat. I think halal and kosher are stupid arbitrary rules but so are many other 'rules' people chose to follow with their food choices.

I know, can we come up with standard athiest food or something? :p

I like the idea.  Some ungodly dishes.  But I don't want dietary restrictions.

How about a bacon and shrimp sandwich with meat that has been killed humanely in the name of the godless and served with a cold beer? We can call it a haraam sandwich :p

I'm gonna petition for it to be served at my caf

Haha! I like it in concept, but I am not sure how my tastebuds feel about mixing the two of those.

Flying Spaghetti?

RSS

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service