So here's a question. At my university, in the student cafeteria (the one that you have to go to if you live on residence) there is a halal grill. For those who don't know what that is (I didn't until about an hour ago) it's where they serve food that is acceptable to the Muslim code of conduct. They don't have a big muslim population (with the exception of the cooks) at the school and my question is, should I be offended by this? Is having something religious like this appropriate? They don't have a kosher grill, or anything for any other religions even. I'm not even sure how I feel about it, I just know I don't like it.
Does anyone think I should make a fuss about it or should I just ignore it?

Views: 742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that the problem is being blunt, that you are out of touch with the reality that religious people experience.  Eating non-halal food is an act of immorality and evil according to their perception of reality.  As the psychologist Albert Ellis said when alluding to the great stoic philosophers, ones perceptions determines the corresponding reality experienced. 

The celiac can also chose to eat food in the cafeteria with gluten in it.  However the celiac avoids it based on the consequences of the act.  The individual with religious dietary restrictions also avoids eating it among many things, due to the consequences of the act.  But many people avoid it not because of consequences, but because of social forces at work.  Once something is declared wrong, it is shameful.  The Muslim cannot participate in that which is shameful because of a natural aversion to socially unacceptable behavior.  Because the Muslim is absorbed into Muslim culture, the power of this shame does keep one from performing many actions that would otherwise seem normative. 

I would contend that for either the Muslim or the celiac, eating food with which a dietary restriction exists does not appear optional, but everything is always optional even if it kills a person.

You do realize one can kill a person the other would only make them suffer at the hands of their own insanity. Not even close to a good comparison.

Only because you can't step outside of your own perspective, and that is a limitation you must overcome in order to enhance your own mental capacity.  There are things worse than death.  That is the point you are missing.  Whether or not those things worse than death are real is irrelevant because they are real to the people who believe it.  Until you can relate to that experiential reality, you will not really be able to think in a just or fair matter.  You will be out of touch with what is excessive or oppressive towards those groups.

• . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

Samuel, you still don't get it do you?  Societies maintain healthy functioning levels when they are most content.  Actual reality is less important than perceived reality for a society's contentment level.

The "Boston Massacre" only killed a few people, but it ignited tensions leading to a revolution.  It is all over history.  Learn it.

Until you can relate to that experiential reality, you will not really be able to think in a just or fair manner.  You will be out of touch with what is excessive or oppressive towards those groups, and they will get pissed.

At best you're playing around with semantics, at worst you're being willfully deceiving. You're making connections that don't exist.

I know what the boston massacre is, do you? Do you actually think it's relevant to this discussion? Until you can get a grasp of actual reality you will be considered little more than a troll.

False dilemma fallacy.  Your arrogance is making me impatient, because it is the kind of arrogance that directly tries to oppress reason, so I will just tell it like it is.  You are the kind of person who keeps the truth in any matter from becoming widespread because you assume if it doesn't instantly make sense to you then it is wrong.

Your method is an arrogant way to deal with opposing opinions. Instead of saying "that doesn't seem to connect" you jump to the irrational conclusion of "i don't see how it connects, therefore it does not".  It is an irrational and inferior way to process data. 

Honestly I don't see why you can't figure out the relevance.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when I am speaking about perceived reality and use an actual historical example of a false perceived reality that ignited tensions. Situations like this are all over history.  Again.  Learn it.  Not the massacre, jeez, don't be so dull, I am talking about the idea that perceived oppression will cause people to be just as pissed as real oppression.  You perceive oppression when there is none with this ridiculous halal grill objection.

It is the same thing.  You are whining about a halal grill.  A bunch of people already told you to just suck it up.  Suck it up, as I said multiple times, you have to make concessions for people in order to keep them from feeling oppressed.  That is why pretty much everyone is telling you to suck it up.

Instead of saying "that doesn't seem to connect" you jump to the irrational conclusion of "i don't see how it connects, therefore it does not".  It is an irrational and inferior way to process data.

I'm guilty of that sometimes John.  I see a complicated argument, and I just switch off.  I have seen some utter bullshit under the name of complicated clever philosophy.  I appreciate your spelling out my fault in approaching some arguments. 

I'm not sure I'm even gonna bother reading your last reply. Your inane drivel must drive your friends crazy. There are some very kind, intelligent, respectful people on here, I don't know why you're fighting to set a precedence so opposite to the norm. But just to humor you, I'm gonna send you a link which displays what's wrong with halal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQOKQ__3vQw

Watch it and then tell me I'm wrong

The moment you started being rude you screwed that all up.  Then you decided to call names.  Finally I told you why your position was idiocy.  The tone has been all set by you.

It is a really nice double-standard though on your part to bring up my response to your attitude as being deviant.  Well done.

Suck it up, man.  People are allowed to eat Halal if they like. 

Just for interests sake Halal on Wikipedia

Your animal products are being slaughtered in the name of Allah....while facing a certain direction. It's great that you can sample some Arab food while learning at uni but I have to wonder if the halal food is more expensive than regular food? Are there other options available in the cafeteria?

If it is anything like the uni I went to then there will be several choices available, each serving different things. I'm sure a halal grill would of been totally welcome to join the mix and probably of done quite well.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com