Since this is something that has been on my find for awhile, I wanted to get the thought-ball rolling. I have a couple of theories, but I want to see what other people think. Also, this is going to be a crazy in-depth description of "reincarnation" and why I think it's possible for the most part (so please bear with me).

So basic biology here: Humans are made of tissues (skin, muscle, bone etc) which are made up of cells (skin cells, hair cells, blood cells etc) which are made up of molecules (lipids, amino acids, proteins etc) which are also made up of even smaller particles known as atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons) which are also made up of even much smaller particles known as subatomic particles (quarks and it get’s even smaller in theory.) So this is the order you need to keep in mind. From largest to smallest.

The smallest known particles (atoms) are floating around in clouds of energy. They are never really touching one another. So apply this same principle to the larger scale. One would assume that since nothing’s really touching anything you could simply walk through a wall, but we know that’s impossible. There’s a barrier that separates all things from intersecting one another and turning into one hot mess of atoms. There’s barriers all around us at all times. It’s what keeps the atoms that make up the cells of our arms from colliding and merging with the atoms that make up the structure of the wall. Other wise we’d all just be transient beings, never being able to bind together. Think of a cloud of smoke that just wisps away and never stays in that big mass it once was. It dissipates into nothingness.

So what keeps us together? What prevents those from attracting and merging with some other atom? Sometimes nothing. The term free radical, refers to a lost particle that lost it’s connection with another particle and now it’s wandering about trying to find something to attract to. However, when it does find something to attract to, it often pushes something else out of the way.

This free radical causes a chain-reaction of breakdowns (basically chaos: the unbalance to balance, the disorder to order). This entropy (equalization/breakdown) doesn’t necessarily mean the destruction, but rather the rebuilding of something else, we'll say balance. That free radical is just going to keep going around bumping things out of order until it starts to form something else. 

The first law of conservation of energy is that energy cannot be create or destroyed, but rather transformed. So when a person dies, what is really happening? Since our bodies are made of energy (see very first thing I explained) something has to come along (say a free-radical) that has to bounce everything out of order, in order to create something new. The energy itself is not destroyed but rather reformed. As a person dies, we see a deterioration of body tissues, wrinkly skin, loss of bodily function etc etc. Until we see a person die. But what is death? Does it involve a soul? What is a soul? Where will all those subatomic free-radical particles end up?  

Look at all the little pictures to make one big picture. All the atoms that make up the molecules, that make up cells, that make up tissues, that make up a person. This large scale being is being de-constructed back into it’s small-scale parts. Everything is there, that was there before, but what happens to all those atoms? 

So I pose the question: is it possible that reincarnation is actually the process of one person's (or objects) sub-atomic particles binding together to form another "physical" object and that we are all made from the same energy? 

[Note: If you see an incorrect statement, or something inaccurate, please tell me! Apologizing now if I rambled.  I'd like to hear what other Atheists have to say about this topic...]

Tags: atoms, biology, chemistry, death, energy, life, quantum, reincarnation, religion, science, More…soul, theories, thermodynamics

Views: 1875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's not talk about "energy" as though it = soul, the way some addle-brained New Agers do. The fact is that when a being (plant or animal) dies, it simply comes apart. The molecules are ingested by scavengers and bacteria. The bones will eventually either be eaten by the animals who can digest them or they will simply be worn down by time.

There's nothing mysterious about it at all, and nothing about the process that hints and entering a new body as the same being. That is impossible to the degree of being almost silly.

Let's play a pretendy fun time game... Let's think of the universe as information. And so are we. Our personalities are information. All life is information at the basest level. And everything is cyclical, ebb, flow, decay, renewal. And things are interdependent. Life forms depend on one another... And the universe has parasitic qualities, some life forms hitch rides on other life forms. Now pretend a life form, oh... say, a human body, is computer hardware. The brain is the CPU. The genes get to be the firmware. And the so called *cough* soul, or personality would be the software... something like a GUI. Once the computer breaks down and the hardware goes to rust, what becomes of the software? Suppose this computer that just died is a terminal? Does the software - this information called soul or personality - remain stored in some quantum fabric of the super computer we know as the universe? If all things are cyclical, does this information called the soul or personality hitch a ride in a new piece of hardware, another body? It's a fun philosophical game to play. The science today says no, there is no ghost in the machine. Stephen Hawking says when the brain dies, so the soul. It's over. Roll the credits. And the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of that view. But this is today's science. We're standing upon the threshold of an information explosion. Everything around you is information. You are information... Don't give up hope. You may not have dotted your "i's" or crossed your "t's" scientifically, your approach may not be technically correct, but your aim is true. The science of tomorrow may be different. You just may be on to something with reincarnation.

Let's play a pretendy fun time game... Let's think of the universe as information. And so are we. Our personalities are information. All life is information at the basest level. And everything is cyclical, ebb, flow, decay, renewal.

You can pretend that everything is cyclical, and so it can be in a short run, but in the long run, entropy is the rule. Everything comes apart. There is no cycle long-term.

And things are interdependent. Life forms depend on one another... And the universe has parasitic qualities, some life forms hitch rides on other life forms. Now pretend a life form, oh... say, a human body, is computer hardware. The brain is the CPU. The genes get to be the firmware. And the so called *cough* soul, or personality would be the software... something like a GUI.

Well, but a personality isn't a soul. It's a social stimulus value, not a spirit.

Once the computer breaks down and the hardware goes to rust, what becomes of the software? Suppose this computer that just died is a terminal? Does the software - this information called soul or personality - remain stored in some quantum fabric of the super computer we know as the universe?

Can't think of why it would.

If all things are cyclical,

A big if...

does this information called the soul or personality hitch a ride in a new piece of hardware, another body?

Why would it?

It's a fun philosophical game to play. The science today says no, there is no ghost in the machine. Stephen Hawking says when the brain dies, so the soul. It's over. Roll the credits. And the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of that view. But this is today's science.

And today's science stands on the rotting corpse of scientific theories that took spirituality seriously.

We're standing upon the threshold of an information explosion.

Is that a fact or a mere prognostication?

Everything around you is information. You are information...

That isn't a fact. It's a way of looking at things. Of course, "information" means something specific to physics. Specific, but different and not relevant here as far as i can tell.

Don't give up hope. You may not have dotted your "i's" or crossed your "t's" scientifically, your approach may not be technically correct, but your aim is true. The science of tomorrow may be different.

Different? How? By not being based on logic and evidence?

You just may be on to something with reincarnation.

Reincarnation (literally, assuming new flesh) simply makes no sense.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service