Imagine you run a commercial photography studio.  The following scenario arises:  

A potential client calls; it's the 'Holy Church of God is More Colourful than a Baboon's Arse' (not a real church, just in case you were wondering).  This church wants some promotional shots of the congregation.  You end the call saying you will provide a quote (as normal), and then quickly google the church to get a sense of their needs.  My search turns up that this church is strongly homophobic.  Wetboro Baptist Church level homophobic (you can swap that out with anything comparable that you find abhorrent if gay rights ain't your thing)

The question: placed in such a situation, would you refuse to provide service?

[edited this post to make it clear that I'm not looking for what I should do; I'm looking for what other people would do in this situation, or a similar scenario].

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ethics surcharge. I could publicly donate a portion towards a GLTB rights organization or perhaps towards helping someone afford costly gender reassignment surgery.
I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who is a jerk. Let's face it, would you really do work for people like Westboro Baptist church or other hate groups. Money and profit be damned, you've got to have some level of principles in your life and business or you're just not much of a human being.
I think there are several ways to see this. Morals are good and easy to follow if your a single man. They're also easy if your married with kids if you have lots of money. If your married with kids and no money then your moral high ground is ok but it wont feed or put clothes on your family. Kind of stupid for a man to say I cant take this job on moral grounds while his kids starve. The truth is morals are good but honoring your commitments or important too. Trying to be to moral only makes you a dick. Some people have the money to afford the right of uncompromising morals but look at it from another point of view. They surely think there view is moral as well. Dont be the guy with the moral superiority complex. You dont like there views? Fine but your doing a job, not making friends.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on my current financial situation at the time. There are times yo can preserve you ethical integrity and there are other times when your integrity is a petty concern contrast having a roof over your head. They're paying you for a service, nothing more. If that service includes you making propaganda then I would reject the job opp. However, if they want landscape shots or a few photos of a happy couple or other generic Hallmarky type shit then why not? It's not like a basic photo will haunt you. If you were a tailor would you not make them a suit? Just jack up the price a little. If I were comfortable financially and could afford to NOT service them, I would simply tell them I was atheist... I might even tell 'em I'm gay just to see where it went from there... I honestly don't know. It would depend on my mood, I'd might fight the urge to fuck with 'em a little.
Is their money green? Then I'd take it, lol.

I once was hired to design a website for a church's Pro-Life group. It was disgusting, but nobody said I had to AGREE with it. I just put the crap they gave me and cashed the check. Besides which, they have a right to express their ignorant opinion and who am I to stand in the way of that?

I'd put the money in the bank and wash my hands of it, personally :)
Lol, good one. Only thing is I dont see the relevance. nobody is talking about killing anyone here. Just talking about doing a job if you dont hold the same beliefs as the people hiring you.
If you consider that the killing people is stated as a pro then the lesser stake of taking a photo still applies. If you'd be willing of off someone you should be willing to take their photo. The sentiment is valid and applicable. 'Do it and forget about it' is relevant to the topic.
Accept the job, do the shoot and on the proofs, photoshop in "Proud gay bigots". :)
Take their money and make a pro-bono gay rights shots.

I'm not really much of a fan though.

I wouldn’t refuse them business. What good does that do? They can just go somewhere else. I would take their money and be happy with the fact that a church is paying a baby-eating, devil-worshiping, god-hating heathen to do something. If you really didn’t want to do it, I’d quote them an outrageous price. If that doesn’t scare them off, you can take pleasure in knowing that the money you get will go to something other than religion… perhaps you could donate the “extra” money toward a cause that the church opposes.

That doesn't necessarily answer the hypothetical, as a business itself can be modelled with a set of ethics.

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service