Imagine you run a commercial photography studio.  The following scenario arises:  

A potential client calls; it's the 'Holy Church of God is More Colourful than a Baboon's Arse' (not a real church, just in case you were wondering).  This church wants some promotional shots of the congregation.  You end the call saying you will provide a quote (as normal), and then quickly google the church to get a sense of their needs.  My search turns up that this church is strongly homophobic.  Wetboro Baptist Church level homophobic (you can swap that out with anything comparable that you find abhorrent if gay rights ain't your thing)

The question: placed in such a situation, would you refuse to provide service?

[edited this post to make it clear that I'm not looking for what I should do; I'm looking for what other people would do in this situation, or a similar scenario].

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the US store owners can refuse service to anyone. Discrimination laws don't prevent us from refusing to work for dickheads. I would never promote an anti-gay group any more than I would promote the KKK. It's an easy yes, refuse service, in my mind.
Did you know that if you have fewer than 15 employee's you can discriminate who you hire? Perfectly legal.
Is this just because equal employment opportunity laws don't apply for companies of that size?
As a successful business owner, you need to be INCLUSIVE, not confrontational. Why get into business if profit isn't your primary motive? If you were running a charity or other non-profit business, then I can understand. Otherwise, unless your business is harmed by a person or group, you're chasing away valuable customers by confronting them.

Should ethics dominate all facets of life (including business)? That depends on what you hope to achieve. We're humans . . . not saints. Idealism versus realism. Which is better?
It comes down, I think, to where an individual wishes to draw the line. That line will probably be different for different people.

How much are you prepared to put up with in order to make a profit? I know I definitely have my limits.
It will also vary depending on the industry and the relationship between service provider and client.
Get the money up front and recruit your most flaming gay friend as your personal assistant that day.
LOL

I like it.
I probably know more lesbians that would fit the job requirements, but the same principle should still apply.

Bahahaha! Great idea!

I remember an episode of Boston Legal, where this lawyer, Alan Shore, represented a nice family of white supremacists, even though, obviously, he despised the very idea of one race being superior to another. He made some ironical remarks about their views, but he did represent them.

I think discrimination shouldn't be fought with discrimination. That's why racists and even anti free speech folks have the right to free speech. We don't ban them these rights, even though we might strongly disagree with them. In the hypothetical case you thought of, this church would go to another company and would get their service. This is why you should accept them as your client and earn some well-deserved bucks. It's the capitalist and liberal way.
Well, I would just quote them a MUCH higher than normal rate. That way if they accept your quote, you at least paid for your silent contempt. If they refuse, meh.

RSS

Blog Posts

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 2 Comments

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service