Red pill makes you fluent in every spoken language. Blue pill makes you a master of every musical instrument in the world. Which do you swallow?

I thought this would be a interesting discussion.

You can only take one.

Notes : You never forget a language or a musical skill either. Its always there in your head. And also, when I say a 'master on musical instruments', I mean one of the best in the world. Also the languages are only communication languages, not programming skills. via reddit

As for me I would pick languages. The nice thing about music is that it is already a universal language. :]

Views: 1064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Red pill.

Red pill.  Talented at music, suck at languages.

As appealing as being able to play the violin with perfection is. I have to go with the red pill. I love talking to everyone, so if I had to freedom to speak to anyone regardless, that would be awesome.

Barriers are not something I like being stuck behind. =^P

Since I can't pick purple pill and just be a alright at 1/2 of each...I'll take red. 

The blue pill.

I posed this question (via the link to this site) to my eldest daughter.  She teaches music at a middle school (read "junior high").  With her permission, I have included her response here;

"Language pill.

I'd be an interpreter in a heartbeat. I have always loved language, it's why I didn't find it impossible to stay in french immersion in high school - it was tricky with the arts courses and all. It would be so nice and glamourous to travel around the world, work with the UN or something. I think a lot of misunderstanding could be avoided.

I wouldn't take the music pill. I can't imagine not having things to work on and improve, I can't imagine feeling differently about the people I sit with in band every week. I'd lose the fun of it, the quest. I would be an awful teacher because I wouldn't know what it would be like to be lost on a musical idea or concept, or to struggle to practice and improve. If I knew all the languages, I'd be a better singer for it. I've always wanted to learn the African ones with the different kinds of tongue clicking etc. :)

We are all looking too hard for instant perfection and overnight celebrity, but we really don't take the time to *get* each other. Now if there was a pill for *that* I'd take it in a heartbeat."

I think she nailed it.

Blue pill without a moments hesitation.

red pill for sure. . .i love languages but I always forget how hard a new one is to learn. . .

but that part of me that wanted wants to be a rock star might ask for the blue pill :)

Hmmmmm? I would have to go with the blue pill. I absorb language relatively quickly and easily but have struggled for decades with music. Admittedly that is the lazy choice (take a pill to conquer the tough challenge) but as others have mentioned music is a universal form of communication. 

Blue pill even if it was as low as three instruments i wouldn't even dream of eating the red one

Listening to music is my number 1 passtime, playing it is a close second. I've always wanted to play multiple instruments. I think it would be great to be able to play any song I want and get whatever sound I want, or even play the same song and experiment with different sounds. I sound like the biggest nerd, but I gotta say if I could do that, I would never be bored. I have to admit it was a difficult choice since I already know how to play an instrument but I can't speak anything but English. I would love to speak multiple languages too, but I gotta still say music. I'll always have that even when there's no one around to talk to!

I would go blue. 
I speak two languages fluently and I have flirted with others. I think with regular practice I can speak any language and even without being able to verbally communicate with someone you can still find a way to understand each other. Music is the love of my life I have studied everything about her and although I can understand what she says and I can read her writings I fail at expressing myself in her tongue.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service