Now, I've read the bible back and forth. I know the number of contradictions it holds, ever since I took off my God Goggles®

Books like Matthew holds a plethora of prophecies. Or at the very least, two piñatas filled with candies worth of it. Now, most of us know that prophecies, like the ones from Nostradamus, are never specific enough, require a bit of a wording manipulation for it to work, and failed prophecies are ignored or recreated to mean something else as a future event, perhaps. Let me list some here:

Matthew 24:15 -- "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Since we have TV and internet, as well as a world coverage of preaching Christian religions, many feel this prophecy has already past.

Matthew 24:23-25 -- False messiahs. Those saying that they speak to God and/or that they are Jesus. Happens every Sunday on church TV channels every time a minister preaches that "JESUS SPOKE TO ME and SAID he is POOR! HE NEEDS YOUR MONEY!!!"

Matthew 24:21-22-- This is actually a big one, stating that there will be great suffering all over the world. Wars, famine, disease, and general suffering is attributed to this.

Luke 21:23-24 -- Jerusalem will be trampled on. Many relate what is happening today in the Middle East is what this bible text is speaking of.

Matthew 10:21 "And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." HEY! This one has come true!

Luke 21:33 --: "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." Here Jesus states that his words will not be forgotten.

Now, my question is, how do you rebuttal these to someone who has read them and say it's proof that the bible is true? I guess I can say things like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and plagues actually killed more people in the past then it has now (source?), but what about the rest of these? And I'm not even going into the madness that is Revelations!

Tags: Prophecies

Views: 566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never take people who bring up prophecies like these seriously. But when it's friends and family, I have a difficult time informing them how these can be manipulated for today, 50 years ago, or 50 years from now. They consider it proof of the bible's authenticity; that there is no way the bible can lie because all of these prophecies are coming true. Matthew 24:21-22 is the one that they always bring up.

Yes, I try to move on to other subjects. It's difficult, if not impossible, to make someone who's deeply religious and completely convinced of these bible prophecies that they are indeed too vague, sometimes nonsensical.

Yes, I guess you're right. When I was religious, I would think of these haunting, frightening images of death and destruction. Pestilence, wars, crimes! They are happening right now! The bible is right!

Of course, it also happened 200 years ago! In the dark ages! And 1000 years ago!

But I think it goes a bit further in saying that things may also happen 'invisibly', another bible theory that gets tossed around me a lot. Jesus' invisible reign. God's invisible war with demons. Demons and angles being invisible but still affecting our daily lives.

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 25 minutes ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 3 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 10 hours ago. 27 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 19 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service