I do not know if this question has ever been posted, but I was wondering how people came to the realization that there is no god. Was it a slow process, were you always a religious person before becoming atheist, how did you feel when you became atheist, what type of impact did it have on your life, did you start to believe in atheism and then go back and forth between believing and not believing, etc. Just interested. Not a debate, just interested in your story.

Views: 417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went to a Jewish preschool, but I was never really indoctrinated, rather, I was exposed more to the well-meaning morals of that religion than a literal interpretation of its stories. At one point, I think around the age of 11 or 12, I actually questioned the existence of God. I'd never really thought either for or against it before.

I reasoned that if there was an all-powerful god, it could easily show itself to me if I asked it to. Soon after, I simply said to an empty room "God, if you exist, and you're really all-powerful, appear personally to me and prove your existence." After giving him a minute or two to do so, in which nothing happened, I concluded that religion was silly.

My story is kinda strange.  I've really never been a theist, despite being raised around religion.  My grandmother, whom I would visit nearly every other weekend, would take me to church, where there was a really young pastor who had a "children's time" where he would call all of the children in the congregation up and tell us a story from the bible and give us lessons and whatnot, during the service.  That's really the only time I can remember ever even thinking of religion at all.  But from the age of six, I was already questioning god and the existence of an afterlife.  What really through me off of the edge, though, was when my grandmother died when I was 9 or 10.   I realized that a merciful god as described in the Bible wouldn't have taken her from me, two days before my birthday, when I was so close to her on an emotional level.
Interesting stories. I too was raised Jewish ( assume you were since you went to a Jewish preschool) and had the Bat Mitzvah for my family and everything else that goes with being Jewish. I enjoyed the people there and the activities, but even though I tried to read the Old Testament and believe the stories, especially Yom Kippur, I could not force myself, or even get into the spirit of the holidays. It just sounded crazy. I would stand around and look at the people and wonder how many others were buying into this. I also live in the town of Jerry Falwell, so double crazy there. I also questioned if god was god, why did he allow the Holocaust to happen? I ask this question continually, everyone says the ways of god are a mystery. Huh? So much suffering in this world and everyone praying to a deity who does nothing but gets all the credit when things go right. When things go wrong, it is Satan or the devil or whatever you want to call it. I just don't get it.

There is a whole group about this.

http://www.thinkatheist.com/group/yourstory

Thanks!

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service