Real Bomb Threat Concerns or Prejudice and Bigotry Knee jerk reaction?

(Reuters) - Texas police will review decisions made when a Muslim teenager was taken away in handcuffs after high school staff mistook his homemade clock for a bomb, the Irving police chief said on Friday.\

Questions that arise is if the school really thought it was a bomb then why didn't they immediately follow safety precautions and evacuate the school, and call in the Bomb squad? Instead the boy and the clock was taken to the Vice Principal's office and detained there till the police came who decided to handcuff and take him before they even talked to the Engineer Teacher who confirmed it was a clock.

A High School with emphasis on Engineering but can't even understand basic electronics and circuits?

Electrical Systems Technology Apprenticeship Program
MacArthur High School

This program is designed for students interested in careers related to the electrical industry. These include: electrical engineering , construction electrician, maintenance electrician, manufacturing systems, wholesale and retail sales, and job estimating.

This program offers students a course of study that brings together academics, work site learning, and paid experience-all before high school graduation.

Views: 635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you want me to go to youtube and find some white kids being fucked with by white cops? I'm pretty sure I can.

Cops do have to follow procedures or they get in trouble. I'm remembering the black people in Ferguson complaining about the "disrespect" shown the corpse of Michael Brown by leaving him laying in the street for hours. Well, it was crime scene and they weren't allowed to move him or even cover him up. Procedure and policy.

Sometimes, once something is started, it's propelled along by procedures and policies.

Nasty stuff. Hard to believe that him being Middle Easten had nothing to do with it. One group of religious morons opressing another group of religious fools.

You're going way beyond any of the available facts, essentially accusing people you don't know of religious racism probably based on news reports written by people who weren't witnesses to the events.

You don't actually know the religious beliefs of any of those involved other than the boy and his family, do you?

I'm not saying everything about the way it was handled was handled right. Just that we need our schools to be on the alert.

LOL

My reaction is mostly in the camp of being appalled at the quality of teachers in the public school system. How can the uneducated educate? Makes the future of the human race (at least the American humans, anyway) appear rather bleak.

And it's more than just what happened at the school directly. The level of 'interest' from politicians and special interest groups after the fact stating how impressed they are with this kids work is way out of line with what he actually did, if much of anything. Praise for poor work is just as damaging to a young mind as the false accusations, perhaps more so due to how insidious it is. At least the false accusations are easily refuted by the evidence. The praise seems to be kind of like our current financial markets - they are 'great' because, well, they must be... in other words, appearances are more important than the facts. Have those praising the kid been doing so because they've actually seen his amazing clock or simply because they want the appearance of praising the kid's work to 'win' regardless of his actual work? I think the reaction is overkill too, obviously.

The politics from both sides are hurting this kid as far as I'm concerned.

My reaction is mostly in the camp of being appalled at the quality of teachers in the public school system.

I think the teachers, at least initially, did what most parents would want them to do to protect their own children. Then, after it rather quickly was clear that the object wasn't a bomb, they needed to determine if some other sort of misbehavior was intended.

It did go off the rails at some point, though it's unclear how much of what appears to have been excessive was simply a procedure or protocol they at first and then the police were forced to follow.

Far from being hurt, it looks like it's opened doors for him, so where do you get that idea?

From the pictures of the 'device' and the sequence of events we know about it seems that the science teacher was smart enough to know a simple circuit board clock when he saw one. The English teacher, and presumably her superiors, apparently weren't, which is appalling to me. This is basic stuff here. I would think any educated person would be able to immediately make that determination with this particular device. I would certainly not want my kid's teachers to make the decision this teacher made. It's embarrassing to think they thought this was a bomb, or looked like a bomb, or was remotely intended to look like a bomb. Appalling lack of education to my mind. Not Islamaphobia or racism just stupidity.

The second appalling thing about the teachers was that the first, the teacher he showed it to intentionally, seemed to 'understand' that other teachers/administrators would not react well to a 'circuit board' clock and the kid should hide it. Yet that's all he did - tell him to keep it out of site. If he knew the other staff were so incompetent he should have been more preemptive; he knew this might happen and did a disservice to the child by not being more proactive in his response. 

The second point, false praise is harmful, has to do with the quality of the clock itself. It's extremely simplistic. Again, why the English teacher couldn't recognize such a simplistic device speaks to a lack of proper education in this country. But, in my mind, pumping up kids for simplistic (the most basic of basic work) - praising them - inviting them to the White House, Google fairs, etc. - is also potentially harmful because he hasn't earned it. Kind of like giving all the kids who participated in football trophies, just for showing up. He didn't do anything of note to merit the level of praise being heaped upon him.

At this point, it's as if a bunch of crazy people are on both sides dumping their idiocy upon his shoulders. No way he's going to come out of this unscathed. The education system let him down by letting it get out of hand like this to be sure. I think a lot of the false praise going towards the boy is being done as a type of punishment for the school - with the kid in the middle of it - despite the potential harm to the kid. Who is now not in school by the way... Hard to just be a kid with all this attention - from both sides of the debate.

Yes, English teachers should know basic physics and cosmologists should be able to write novels, too. Education without borders.

Also, they DID know early on it wasn't a bomb and it became about something else after that. And, as I pointed out, the teachers and police may have had policies and procedures and protocols they needed to follow to the letter.

"Procedures and protocols" in this case seem to pander to the lowest common denominator, like they had to ask if a really uneducated person might think this is a bomb? If the answer is yes we must escalate to the next level despite the fact we know it isn't. At some point those procedures are the problem not the solution. They didn't help resolve this situation, they inflamed it. 

I pity the English teacher who thinks 'bomb' every time they see the insides of an electronic clock. How did they become an adult and miss the obvious? Boggles my mind. Comparing that to 'writing novels' is a real stretch.

Policies and procedures don't work as satisfactorily in one case as they do in another case. Set up to protect from worst case scenarios, they may seem like overkill when the case turns out to be far from the worst. 

Hindsight by backseat quarterbacks is always 20/20 (metaphors consciously mixed). 

Simon posted this in Sunday School.

I think the question quickly became "If it's not a bomb, what was he up to?" That nobody thought it was a bomb, ever, is probably going beyond the facts.

RSS

© 2023   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service