Real Bomb Threat Concerns or Prejudice and Bigotry Knee jerk reaction?

(Reuters) - Texas police will review decisions made when a Muslim teenager was taken away in handcuffs after high school staff mistook his homemade clock for a bomb, the Irving police chief said on Friday.\

Questions that arise is if the school really thought it was a bomb then why didn't they immediately follow safety precautions and evacuate the school, and call in the Bomb squad? Instead the boy and the clock was taken to the Vice Principal's office and detained there till the police came who decided to handcuff and take him before they even talked to the Engineer Teacher who confirmed it was a clock.

A High School with emphasis on Engineering but can't even understand basic electronics and circuits?

Electrical Systems Technology Apprenticeship Program
MacArthur High School

This program is designed for students interested in careers related to the electrical industry. These include: electrical engineering , construction electrician, maintenance electrician, manufacturing systems, wholesale and retail sales, and job estimating.

This program offers students a course of study that brings together academics, work site learning, and paid experience-all before high school graduation.

Views: 630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it really that hard to think that he was actually telling the truth? That all he really wanted to do was show off the thing he made, to show his teachers that he likes to tinker and make things? That he was perhaps a bit naive but didn't intend for there to be any problems?

A lot of things don't make sense in this whole thing either. If the teacher thought the clock was dangerous then why didn't the teacher clear her room and initiate the clearing of the school? Why did the teacher touch the clock and put it in her desk? Why wasn't the bomb squad called? I don't think at any point any of the adults in this situation truly thought the device was dangerous. I think they were reacting out of their own assumptions and fears about a middle eastern teenager. "A teenager couldn't just want to show off something he made. A teenager would never tell the truth. Teenagers try to push the limits all the time. He's muslim maybe there's something more sinister going on?" At this point now that all is said and done, is it really that hard for the teachers involved, school, and police to say "Sorry we made a mistake, it all went a bit too far." (I guess that last part's a pipe dream though - apologize and admit a mistake never!.)

why didn't the teacher clear her room and initiate the clearing of the school?

Maybe she actually suspected the kid had brought something that could be mistaken for a bomb into class to f*ck with her. Teens do that sort of thing, as you yourself admit: "Teenagers try to push the limits all the time." It might be viewed as equivalent to bringing a realistic toy or harmless replica gun to school just to get a reaction.

This is not a situation to be seen in black and white terms. And I'm not excusing every single action taken, though as I note some of it might be policy, procedure, and protocol they needed to follow.

I'm not saying that teenagers push the limits all the time (I don't think that they do) - I was saying that that is the assumption that many adults make about teenagers that might lead to a knee jerk or inappropriate reaction. Teenagers are constantly suspect for merely being teens and I think that mentality about teenagers influenced some of the reactions and decisions made.

I actually think that the vast majority of pushing the limits that teenagers do is of the rather harmless sort, like coming home after curfew or pushing the limits on a dress code. Very few teenagers actually f*ck with people in the way that some are trying to suppose that this kid could have been doing.

I'm not saying that teenagers push the limits all the time (I don't think that they do) - I was saying that that is the assumption that many adults make about teenagers that might lead to a knee jerk or inappropriate reaction. 

And I wasn't saying that every teenager pushes limits all the time but that all the time some teenagers are pushing limits.

Actually, I would prefer schools overreact rather than underreact. Overreaction could save some lives sometime.

Actually, I would prefer schools overreact rather than underreact. Overreaction could save some lives sometime.

That's a claim.  Do you have any evidence?

Generally speaking schools are microcosms of the rest of society.  If Authorities overreact all the time, that builds up resentment, reduces collaboration and compliance, and can lead to riots.   Overreaction harms society and overall makes things less safe.

The way you keep schools safe is to reduce the "us vs. the Administration" sentiment to lower the barriers for students to report on genuinely suspicious activity.  It's not school teachers seeing wires that prevents violence, it's friends and acquaintances of kids who choose to report the plans they've overheard.   An overreacting system reduces the likelihood of kids sharing important information with school officials, and makes things less safe.

Funny how you demand proof of my rather obvious claim, add on "all the time," which I never said, and then follow it with a long paragraph of brain fart and no documentation of your own. ;)

I think a better approach is to find some elaborate way to answer the question while not saying anything. Perhaps just typing out the lyrics to a Justin Bieber song...oh perhaps tell a story from the good old days when nuns whipped their students with stick..or just type out a dirty joke. The question avoiding techniques are endless. We have learnt so much from our resident sky-god-worshipper.

I'm all for dirty jokes, if you've got any :)

What's the difference between an epileptic oyster-shucker and a prostitute with diarrhea?

The oyster shucker shucks between fits.

(Hey, you didn't say the joke had to be politically correct.)

That's a claim.  Do you have any evidence?

Dr. Bob, You are starting to sound like me :-)

+1

Talk about going beyond evidence and reading fantasies out of a simple situation. Yeah...and the white cop who shot an unarmed black guy though the black guy was just trying to fuck with him...rather than say...doing absolutely nothing wrong while the white guys who actually do things wrong get the benefit of the doubt. If it was school policy we would hear about non Muslims being handcuffed in school for showing off science projects. Just following policy my ass.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service