Since I began my journey away from religion, whenever a religious song (not a hymn or even worship, just religious) pops into my shuffle I've begun to immediately skip it. I can't bring myself to get rid of them because I love the music, but the message just irks me now.

I'm just curious if anyone still listens to their Christian music just for the love of the music. It feels sort of hypocritical for me to listen to it and enjoy it but I mean it is just music.

Tags: music

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At first, I hated going into the Cook-Out restaurant or Zaxby's because they played that music. I hated being in the car with my mom. But eventually, I was able to listen to some sort-of neutral bands I used to adore like Skillet or Flyleaf without absorbing certain messages. I got to re-experience my childhood in a positive way. I can even find joy in songs like "Sigh No More" by Mumford & Sons without having to click away. It was a process for me. At first, I had to cut myself off cold turkey.

Initially, yes, it severely bothered me, but mostly because it brought back bad memories. Also I started to really pay attention to the lyrics for the first time ("...from the earth to the grave, to the grave to the sky, Lord I lift your name on high..." I never realized how morbid that sounded) But I had to get used to it, working in a Catholic hospital in the Bible belt, a lot of nurses listen to Christian music at the desk, and it's allowed. With therapy and time, you'll start to not care. It's still annoying, and I never found Christian music to be audiably pleasing, except in rare cases like a catchy Stacie Orrico or Rebecca St. James song, but I haven't listened to either of them since I left Christianity behind.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 2 hours ago. 32 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Noel 5 hours ago. 9 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 10 hours ago. 64 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 17 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service