Since I began my journey away from religion, whenever a religious song (not a hymn or even worship, just religious) pops into my shuffle I've begun to immediately skip it. I can't bring myself to get rid of them because I love the music, but the message just irks me now.

I'm just curious if anyone still listens to their Christian music just for the love of the music. It feels sort of hypocritical for me to listen to it and enjoy it but I mean it is just music.

Tags: music

Views: 715

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's OK to love the music but hate the sinner///words.    I have been known to sing a whole collection of hymns with words that no longer make sense, just to keep me awake while driving home late at night (4 hour trip from a major city to a country town late at night.) 

Haha, well if for nothing else that works! That's a good way to think about it too; "love the music, hate the message." Thank you!

I listen to praise music rarely, now,but when I do, I feel nostalgic for the community I once felt a part of and sad at the loss of that connection I experienced during the time when it was meaningful to me; 10-15 years ago.  When I go to a church wedding or funeral, I can't/won't sing the words - they are usually too ridiculous.  I still like Handel's Hallelujah chorus for the music, though, and will sing every word with no ill effect - haha.

I get that! I have a lot of good memories of my youth group and whatnot and I'm sure some of those songs would make me feel both happy and sad.

Music through the ages has myriad examples of religious connotations. Possibly even before religion was formalised: I can imagine primitive man humming a simple ditty to call on the rain gods to bless his crop. Then you have those magnificent operas and symphonies' by people like Bach, Mozart, Handel etc. to today's pop music, gospel, and choral pieces ...what I abhor is the abuse by shops playing religious tunes (Little Drummer Boy) to boost sales. The same argument applies to cathedrals and works of art dedicated to some icon or god; the creativity of man in the pursuit of religion is actually quite breathtaking if it wasn't so misdirected. 

I agree! It's unfortunate that it has to do with religion but a tremendous amount of auditory beauty has come from such inspiration.

I don't listen to much music at all. I prefer audio books or listening to podcasts.  In general, I don't listen to religious music, but I admit that a few songs (Amazing Grace is one) still move me, despite having given up on religion half a century ago.

Aw now you've gone and done it, C Woods. Now I've got that Amazing Grace earworm playing in my head. Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely song. Problem is, whenever I hear it, I end up singing it to the tune of Gilligan's Island. (Go ahead, try it. I dare you!)

Bahahahaha! How many times are you planning on cracking me up in one thread?

Ah! I don't think I could live without music. I'm all for books (although in the visual form) and learning, but music is just a part of me.

I adore "Where is the Love?" by the Black Eyed Peas and still listen to it despite the chorus

"Father, Father, Father help us
Send us some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love"

Never thought of it as religious when I first heard it (about 12 years old), but I'm not that bothered by it now because it's a chooon

Huh, I've never even heard that one before. It'd be nice if I didn't have to know the meaning behind some lyrics so I could just ignore them, lol.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service