Since I began my journey away from religion, whenever a religious song (not a hymn or even worship, just religious) pops into my shuffle I've begun to immediately skip it. I can't bring myself to get rid of them because I love the music, but the message just irks me now.

I'm just curious if anyone still listens to their Christian music just for the love of the music. It feels sort of hypocritical for me to listen to it and enjoy it but I mean it is just music.

Tags: music

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Huh, I've never even heard that one before. It'd be nice if I didn't have to know the meaning behind some lyrics so I could just ignore them, lol.

I never had many religious songs to begin with but the one's I have I still listen to and really enjoy. I don't think you need to be religious to enjoy good music! For example Avenged Sevenfold have a song called Dear God, which I think is fantastic, it has a great melody and is just easy to listen to! I think music is open to personal interpretation and you can take whatever message you want from different songs! 

With a few songs that's definitely possible! (I tend to take a lot of religious songs and feel that they're more like love songs, for example, which now that I think about it I no longer have to feel guilty for... haha)

The first album I ever owned, back when I stared believing in Christianity, was Jars of Clay's Much Afraid.  I will to this day put that album in my car's CD player and sing my heart out.

And I still love Rich Mullins' Songs and 2.  And Jars' Eleventh Hour and Caedmon's Call's 40 Acres.

And if Leonard Cohen counts as a religious musician, or at least if Various Positions counts as a religious album, I'm guilty there as well.

I can't hate the words any more than I can hate the melody.  It's wonderful, earnest, rich stuff.  Not getting the God they're singing about doesn't change that at all, just like not getting the gist of love songs when I was younger didn't bother me.

Rich Mullins is/was amazing! Another nostalgic one for me. Perhaps I'll get used to it again.

The only guy who ever wrote a decent song about God was Billy Preston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyyetXvX76Q

Never heard it before!

For what it's worth, one of MY favorite songs is "The Little Drummer Boy".

Can't help it.  I just love that song.

Obviously, I don't believe the lyrics tell a true story.  But then again, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" isn't exactly describing reality, either...

[In my case, it may help that I was NEVER religious -- so I don't have any memories of listening to it and BELIEVING it, to make me feel weird.]

I love that song too! It's just melodically pretty. And that's also a good way of thinking about it - it's just another "Christmas fable" and doesn't need to be taken as any more than that. Thanks!

But yeah, sometimes icky feelings come along with them... Argh. :/

I occasionally enjoy MxPx. I do find myself picking up on their jesus messages more often though, which kind of turns me off them a bit.

The less obvious it is the easier it is to listen to the music and enjoy it (which goes without saying I s'pose...) but it seems like most of it is just so to the point.

I  still like some religious songs like that one "Eat my body, drink my blood...." dont know why exactly but there are lots of christmas songs I like just cause I like the beat, etc...  My song for my son is Simple Man by Lynnyrd Skynnyrd and it has a line "and remember my son, there is someone up above".....he knows I am atheist and knows that I am not referring to God or that he should believe in him.  Its just that the entire rest of the song is exactly my statement to him as my son.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 1 Comment

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service