Since I began my journey away from religion, whenever a religious song (not a hymn or even worship, just religious) pops into my shuffle I've begun to immediately skip it. I can't bring myself to get rid of them because I love the music, but the message just irks me now.

I'm just curious if anyone still listens to their Christian music just for the love of the music. It feels sort of hypocritical for me to listen to it and enjoy it but I mean it is just music.

Tags: music

Views: 709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yay! I'm not the only one. lol

You might appreciate this;, dizzyduckie:

http://youtu.be/ZKyuZgseyQ4

Haha! Definitely not my genre but the lyrics are awesome.

haha yea i totally know what you mean. The other day I started playing guitar with a guy who played in a christian worship band and he taught me some really cool sounding chord progressions and we jammed a little... i also like to listen to jars of clay's first album, its just good music. the great thing about atheism is that it has no doctrine so it's impossible to "offend it". U CAN LISTEN TO WHATEVER U WANT AND NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!!!! 

lol Woohoo! :D

I do the same thing sometimes like I love music and some gospel songs I still listen to. But sometimes I can't bear listening too it. I even find myself singing them sometimes. It wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the message behind it all I mean gospel music is beautiful but sometimes the talk of god just throws me off

Yeah, I know what you mean. It sort of feels like I'm screaming lies... Which I guess is kinda what it is. :/

Depending what it is, it may not be just music.

There are a lot of religious messages that seem kind in a religious context, but are reprehensible outside of that context.

Can you think of any examples? I don't think I have any music that that applies to.

I don't listen to Christian music so I can't give you specific examples.  Well, here's what a quick Google search found... 

Who are we that You would be mindful of us?
What do You see that’s worth looking our way?
We are free in ways that we never should be.
(“God With Us”)

What does this kind of mindfuck even mean?  Or what about this...

Can a nation be changed?
Can a nation be saved?
Can a nation be turned back to you?
We’re on our knees, we’re on our knees again.
Matt Redman – “Can a Nation Be Changed?”

Not sure what nation he's talking about here but this isn't exactly a positive message.  Speaking of more overt idiocy:

Same-sex marriage in a state where they don’t care
Murder is wrong but the jail time’s not fair
Not to mention date rape, felony, and car theft
Break it down and tell me what we’ve got left
-  Tooth & Nail

Because clearly same-sex marriage belongs in the same category as rape and murder in terms of what's wrong with society.

But for me, it's the more innocuous messaging that really gets me.  How much of it glorifies the idea of giving up one's self for God or having faith in God despite evidence or espousing a sense of human exceptionalism or personal specialness that can give a person a really wacky view of the universe and humanity's place in the environment.  

Sure, some songs have enough artistic merit to trump whatever religious messaging is implied.  Leonard Cohen's "Helleluhaj" sung by k.d. lang at the Winter Olympics is a good example.  http://youtu.be/rVq0L4kkpKM

Obviously, without knowing what music you're referring to I can't say.  Just look at the lyrics yourself and really deconstruct what is being said.  And of course, decide for yourself whether or not you like the music and want to listen to it. 

That's a good way to go about it. You're right; most Christian music is either worship or talking about losing oneself in faith. :/

Music is amazing. And some religious songs are seriously beautiful. I'd listen to it; just because the people who make something believe in god and you don't doesn't mean you can't enjoy their work.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service