Racist backlash against 2014 Coke Superbowl Commercial (America the Beautiful) in multilanguages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8iM73E6JP8

Apparently the racists had a bad day with this commercial because they are pissed that the song was sung in  different language and not the "official" language of the US; "English". Even though US has no official language and Coke was celebrating the diversity that is becoming in the US.

lol it is just funny how idiotic people can be.

Views: 427

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shame on them. I wonder what percentage of those racists would consider themselves to be Christians. I would say there is a high correlation between them. Anytime I challenge someone over a racist remark it turns out that they are also religious and proud to be so.

I didn't see many commercials I liked, but I did appreciate the Cheerios commercial featuring a bi-racial family. Normally I wouldn't have even noticed the commercial: it's mundane compared to most of the others. But I remembered what happened when Cheerios aired the original, similar commercial last year.

Comments on YouTube were disabled on the original Cheerios commercial after they were filled with racial slurs and references to Nazis, troglodytes, "racial genocide", the desire to vomit, etc. Cheerios released a statement saying, "Consumers have responded positively to our new Cheerios ad. At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all."

Cheerios came roaring back not only with another commercial featuring the same characters, but one that doubles down on the point most objectionable to the racists: the idea of black and white people fucking and having kids.

They tapped the lighting rod on purpose. (We're Cheerios! In your face, racists!) Fabulous stuff.

And speaking of fucking: I was slightly disturbed by the images of "a man and his truck" juxtaposed with a stud bull and all the lady cows he gets to fuck, a situation brought about because the bull was riding around in the said vehicle. I don't even want to think about the target market for that kind of ad.

Perhaps it shows that citizens of non-English speaking countries can appreciate the awesome beauty and splendor of America. As a pragmatist, I promote the idea of the U.S. concentrating on English as it's default language simply because it makes the interaction of it's citizenry all the more practical. But I also applaud anyone who takes it upon themselves to learn another language. 

I'd like to teach the world to sing...in perfect...

It gave me goosebumps. That is such a beautiful melody. I thought it was a neat opportunity to hear other languages sung. 

I think it was meant to be provocative. It took a beautiful "American Christian Song" and made it into a beautiful multicultural song. Apropriating the traditional cultural "property" of patriotic Christian Americans and widening the circle of people who can make a claim to that song...it's like a giant musical metaphor of the worst fear of white supremacists.  Of course that ad riled up the racists--coke is probably loving the attention too. 

Things like this burst the bubble for people who pretend that we live in a "post racist" society. 

Not sure how much it means. I remember people getting upset with the Hunger Games when characters who were implicitly black in the novel were played by black people in the film adaptation. I can understand how people who are largely accustomed to an abundance of white people in popular media might miss that the author was describing a different ethnicity, but you'd think once they saw the casting for the film they'd be able to go, "Ah, I guess it could be interpreted that way." Instead a number of people were shocked and even offended.

I also recall a conversation on the ambiguous ethnicities of many Japanese video game characters. A lot of North American players said certain characters were clearly caucasian. A number of East Asian players said the same characters were clearly East Asian. Odd how they exact same visual could be interpreted so differently. Odd how some seemed to take the issue personally.

I guess we tend to view the world through a lens of our own familiarities. Maybe sometimes we just cannot recognize what's in front of us when it betrays our ingrained expectations. I assume Coke was going for the nation of immigrants, multiculturalism vibe, but perhaps for some they saw it as an alienation from something they've held as a cherished tradition.

Which is not to suggest that 'racist assholes' has to be ruled out either. Just sayin' maybe there's more than one explanation for people being upset or irrational about the whole thing.

The interesting point is how many of them were bitching about the "national anthem" being sung in different languages, when it was America the Beautiful.  It just adds another layer of understanding regarding the people who were doing the complaining.

In a similar vein, the number of people making 'learn English' comments cracks me up. The singers all speak English. Somehow it never occurred to them that tens of millions of Americans are bilingual or multilingual, including Native Americans such as this young lady from the ad:

National Anthem? To what Union do they belong???

I wouldn't say racists. The truth is I was kinda annoyed that the song was sang around the world as if its a world wide anthem when its not. Andthe official language of America is English. I do find it funny that everyome wants to scream racism when people don't agree. Truthfully though, it was just a commercial and it doesn't mean anything, except to show how much people love to argue abouf irrelevant things.

on another note, liberals are a lot like christians in thinking that just because people don't agree, that they're being persecuted.

It wasn't sung around the world. Pretty sure the girls are all American. They speak fluent English, possibly as their primary language (there is background video footage). Look at the video I posted which appears above your comment. The girl is singing in a Native American language from New Mexico (I believe). About as American as it gets, no? Many states have set English as their official language, but America as a nation has not. Now that that's been cleared up, hopefully your irritation has been alleviated.

Face palm. It wasn't about globalizing the song...it was about expressing how multicultural America is.

When people "scream racism" and "people don't agree," it's almost always the racists that "don't agree."

It seems to "mean something" to people who feel strongly about it. Race relations aren't irrelevant...I suggest you read up on American history.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service