I cannot get my head around people who use this term, & often look at them with a confused expression when I hear 'rest in peace'. What do people mean by this, & why do they feel they need to say it? 

To me & probably all of you, its an empty phrase, meaningless. But still, its branded about more than Angry Birds.

How do you feel with this phrase? & how do you react to it socially? Are you offended by it? Have you never really thought about it? 

Tags: RIP, Social

Views: 2535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When she was younger, she was rather the charmer. Age and crowding has frosted her socialization skills. The 'false sense of security' is equal for all of us here. Happily, 'Sweetie' likes her cardboard box to sleep in, as if she is letting us off the hook. 

My wife loves animals, as I, but a little less so, due to practical issues. Sometimes it is hard to find couch space for sitting or reading. The puppies can fill our double rocker with 115 lbs of warm snugglys, with no desire to share without a tickle fight.The dogs have more places to sleep than I do...  

Sounds like she's have a good playdate with my three-legged, one-eyed dog named "Lucky"!

If 'Lucky' could stay away from 'Sweetie's' business end, they could be fine.

Our puppies have partly found their exit speed, by not offering a full facial assault. Sadly I have seen the cat reach out about 1/2 her lenght, with one claw following an arc that must be traveling is 10's of ft/sec, that could inflict an injury similar to a knife wound wielded by a very motivated psychopath. She seems to be fully defensive, but even a butt goose by a puppy, can get her to spin around on her axis about as fast as the RPM on my chain saw. Most of her behaviors are preceded by a warning, then the obvious...  

Ok, it seems that were all in agreement with the utter stupidity of RIP.

What would be the best alternative & the best way to keep the abbreviation but change the words.

Rot in Peace was a good one :)

So "Resurrected In Paradise" probably wouldn't be what you were after, I'm imagining - chuckles, I love puzzles.  RIP, let me think, let me think....

Remembered In Passing

Another  pallative intended to make the bereaved feel better; i.e. she's in a better place. Wouldn't it be  nice if people would just accept Nature as it is. My wish fulfillment would be, after death, to be "todays feeding of the big cats at the Dallas Zoo is provided by Don Chase, formerly of Whitney, Texas".

What a marvelous idea, Donald, although I'd probably go for the wild pigs.  I think we should leave the Christians to the lions.

End of a difficulty life or terminal illness works for me. It's not strictly a religious phrase in my opinion, even if it's roots are.

I did use it 2 weeks ago regarding my old man and the Chelsea vs Leeds match that he wouldn't be resting in peace that night. Metaphorically speaking, the match evoked my memory of him and his impassioned view of such rivalry against the old enemy of Dirty Leeds and such spiteful competitors as Billy Bremner & Norman Hunter! His agitation was revived in my own big match anxiety that he passed on to me.

I also imagined him turning in his grave, which is funny as he was cremated and a quiet atheist himself.

Well done gaffer, turning the subject on its head with footie :) 

Good point though, & honest.

I would expect the dirt nap to be quite at rest. It's not the 'rest' part so much since a body at rest will stay at rest. It's the peace part that is extraneous and provoking I think.

The implication is that this peace has somehow been granted to you by some higher power and only their grace allows such a true peace to be enjoyed by you.

It's right there with singing "Auld Lang Syne" on New Year's or at a funeral. If you know any of the lyrics past the 1st verse you're doing well. If you understand the drinking song that it is you're one in a million.

Really Idiotic Platitude

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service