I cannot get my head around people who use this term, & often look at them with a confused expression when I hear 'rest in peace'. What do people mean by this, & why do they feel they need to say it? 

To me & probably all of you, its an empty phrase, meaningless. But still, its branded about more than Angry Birds.

How do you feel with this phrase? & how do you react to it socially? Are you offended by it? Have you never really thought about it? 

Tags: RIP, Social

Views: 2772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The term doesn't bother me, and doesn't feel overtly religious to me. It doesn't get much more peaceful than death. To me it says that the person is free of the toils of everyday life (or free of the painful final days), rather than a conscious peaceful rest in an afterlife.

+1 to this response.... says everything I wanted to say. Thanks, James.

Yea I couldn't say it better myself. 

Jesus thought of death as sleeping. The Bible teaches that when one dies they are not conscious, they are, in effect, well . . . just dead and buried. Until a possible resurrection.

I don't really use the term, nor does it bother me.

I thought it was interesting that you said to you it is an empty phrase. Meaningless, and then later you protest: Don't people get the meaning of it?

I feel it's a phrase that has meaning to many many people, but to me it's an empty phrase. It means nothing as death is final. Rational thinkers have the ability to see the facts, but those who use it willy-nilly don't have the ability to see the big picture.

I'm only asking people who use it to really think about what it means to them.
You sum it up well. It would be nice to hear people say, 'always in our thoughts', as it means so much more & is more true to that person.

I just cannot bring myself to say RIP, even just for comfort to anyone, morally it's wrong for me.

Rot in Peaces 

You couldn't be more further from the truth :)

R.I.P What Does it Mean to You?

To me it means Rip Torn, of course.

Haha :)

I've seen it written on tombstones, but I have not heard it spoken aloud.  It sounds like something you might say to describe the apparent sleep of a dead body.  Do they use the expression for cremations?  It might seem a bit weird if you are burning a body to ashes; to say Rest in peace in those circumstances definitely sounds wrong to me.

I hadn't thought about it until I read your thread topic.  Is it really religious?  I mean if there is supposed to be a heaven filled with happiness and harps, or whatever the image that religion inspires (72 virgins, for example hardly invites an image of peacefulness), is the religious person expecting any of these activities to be 'resting in peace'?  Is there any other way to rest?  It is a bizarre expression, but it doesn't seem to evoke any religious thoughts in my head. 

When we give platitudes to bereaved people, we say the thing that we think will comfort them.  They hear what they want to hear.  There probably isn't an expression that we can trot out to resolve any grief, so we tend to resort to 'condolences' and other well-worn expressions. 

What would Hindus put on their tombstones? BRB

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service