I cannot get my head around people who use this term, & often look at them with a confused expression when I hear 'rest in peace'. What do people mean by this, & why do they feel they need to say it? 

To me & probably all of you, its an empty phrase, meaningless. But still, its branded about more than Angry Birds.

How do you feel with this phrase? & how do you react to it socially? Are you offended by it? Have you never really thought about it? 

Tags: RIP, Social

Views: 2837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know what you mean. Honesty and truth of atheism can be exchanged for the comfort of faith. Isn't that the inherent lure of religion? I would explain it as false comfort that is lost, and politeness doesn't necessarily mean you are a generally nice person or that you care or respect at all about the person you are speaking with. The Ma'am = Bitch relationship, just like 'Bless their heart' doesn't necessarily mean there is any warmth directed at a person. Being civil is important and has its moments.

When I ask people how they're doing, some say, I'm well, by the 'grace of god' or some such, which seems to most people to be warm and comforting and positive. My thought is, you mean you don't think that that spiteful bastard has caught up with you yet today. When I am asked how I'm doing I almost always say 'I'm on the right side of the dirt' which is a rather depressing position, I suppose, if that is the least positive thing you can say and still be positive.

I've always felt that in the right brain atheism can be responsible for real joy and wonder, excitement and hope for the world, the future of human beings and our potential for great things.

In the wrong brain, it could be a pretty depressing thought that no sky god cares for me after all, there is no greater meaning for my life other than what I make of it, and, as we were saying about -why- things happen. And, ending up somewhere on the spectrum of nihilism is not sunshine and butterflies.

Whenever I hear that or even say that saying, I give the implication "Rest In Peace = I hope grave robbers don't dig up the body and steal everything" or even "I hope no one does anything to the body" in general. Still waiting to read about the ventriloquist in the mortuary followed by the body being dug up and ransacked....

Rest in Peace is OK by me, as most people are buried, and it is all good, especially after a difficult death, or the person has been in a lot of pain. I am sending my body to a University, so the doctors can practice operations on me, BUT I will pray for you and god bless realllly cheese me off, and say don't worry about it, I am an atheist, and that is good fun.

It's annoying to hear people say it...

Yoda once told me "In god I believe not, may the schwartz be with you". But that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

If I have a tombstone to put that on I won't care. I'd like to be cremated. But if I happen to be under a tombstone I don't/won't care. I won't care about the connotation and I don't even have to think about that now. I won't have to think about it because it doesn't make a difference.

"People might think I was religious" I don't/won't care.

RIP doesn't sound right for a cremation!  There's something about those flames.... :)

All my family were or will be cremated.  None of us has, or will have tombstones. I have always considered a tombstone as something for the living, to provide them with comfort and to enable them to deal with the absence of a person who was in their lives; a kind of "cardboard cut-out" replacement. As we don't believe in "presence after absence", we just remember our loved ones and bring them back to us by talking about things they did or said in their lives that we can point at to relive the warmth of the place they held in our 'hearts'.

I've used it in the past when I was religious. To me, it has an underlying message that the "soul" remains after our bodies die. Now, we can't know for sure that when we die the energy that makes up our consciousness doesn't continue being conscious -- but we can't know it does either.

Bottom line, it seems harmless and likely meaningless.

I never have liked it partly because when I was a small child, before I learned about abbreviations and would see it on a gravestone i just thought it was saying rip as in rip paper.  I know that is a silly reason not to like it but to me seeing that always makes me think what a crappy thing to put on a gravestone.  Aside from that it is so unoriginal  and it's nonsense.  The person is dead not resting. 

I wouldn't overanalyze it. It's just a customary thing to say. There are certain situations that call for customary idiomatic expressions. When someone is about to perform a drama, one says "Break a leg." If a misician is about to perform, associates might say "Knock 'em dead" or "Kill 'em." I don't wonder why people say these things. I don't think RIP is connected to religion because, after all, it seems to contradict the notion that the deceased life will continue, only on a different plane.

I shattered my leg and broke my back when I was younger. I can remember being in so much ripping pain I was begging the paramedics to put me to sleep so that I could wake up after the surgeries. But they couldn't. I had to be able to answer questions to the doctors once at the hospital and  they needed to see my reaction as they poked and prodded me. One of the greater horrors of this was that they set my leg not once but twice without any anaesthetic. When they finally wheeled me into the operating room I smiled at a woman and said knowingly "you're going to put me to sleep aren't you?" and she nodded telling me to count down from 10...9.......8.....................

I imagine that some people experience life in general like the boy who was in so much pain he wanted nothing more to have induced unconsciousness. These people suffer greatly and see death as the ultimate pain killer and sleep, regardless of if there is an afterlife or not.

RSS

Forum

An awakening.....radical acceptance.....

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 15 minutes ago. 2 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Kairan Nierde 1 hour ago. 23 Replies

Calling All Vaginas!

Started by Pope Beanie in Small Talk 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service