Today most countries have some sort of nationalized healthcare. However, this usually only implies physical (somatic) healthcare. In countries with public healthcare there is now a growing trend towards people being deemed unable to work because of diffuse musculoskeletal and joint pain, which may be psychosomatic, as well as slight mental disorders. We are currently at a stage where our bodies receive free healthcare, but our minds have to be treated privately.

The question then is, in your opinion, should healthcare be extended to psychological ailments in addition to physical ones?

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes.There are significant and credible studies validating the mind-body connection. Therefore, to continue to treat their breakdowns as if they were separate is no longer supportable, for care and insurance purposes. Current failure to recognize the connection is simply one of limited fiscal resources, or more accurately a misappropriation of resources.

Speaking just from personal experience, working in Silicon Valley during its boom days gave me super benefits, like psych coverage. It helped me immensely, and helped make me more productive for the world at large.

You could direct that question to the twenty + former military personnel who, having returned from the Middle East, commit suicide each and every day. PTSD and other mental disorders are a legitimate health concern and should be addressed with equal attention.

RE: In countries with public healthcare there is now a growing trend towards people being deemed unable to work because of diffuse musculoskeletal and joint pain, which may be psychosomatic, as well as slight mental disorders.

I have this condition EXACTLY. I have been receiving mental health therapy with a psychiatrist, therapist, and support groups. I have received excellent services. And I'm (currently) on welfare. So yes the services are there...Yes, they are needed. I saw a physiatrist (pain doctor) back in 2010 and the FIRST thing she asked me was, "Have you experienced sexual abuse," I said, "A little" and she said, "There's no such thing as a little. You need to get that dealt with."......

Turns out she was right.
Effective health care requires a total or holistic approach. We are whole people, physical health concerns will impact on mental state and vice versa. Do you have any specific conditions that elicit clinical suspicions?

This requires some thought. I will try.

Learning the causes of and treatments for physical illnesses grew together in recent centuries. America is  one of the last countries to see physical health as a right.

We know some of the causes of emotional and mental illnesses. We do not yet know why Americans use more drugs, the presently illegal kinds, than people elsewhere.

California's San Jose started dealing with child abuse about forty years ago by authorizing the removal of children from abusive homes and sending abusive parents to anger management classes. Previously, in many places, volunteers started helping children and raising the issue publicly.

Presently, only voluntary associations are remedying citizen abuse by governments.

But for a few years during the early 1900s and again during the 1930s, only voluntary associations have remedied consumer abuse by business people.

We know who will oppose an Affordable Care Act for emotional and mental health.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service