What do you think about prostitution? Should it be legal? Have you ever tried it and, if yes, how?

EDIT: For anyone reading this, I am interested in whether you hired a prostitute, or offered your services in exchange of money. I am not looking for tips on how to hire a prostitute. :)

Tags: prostitution

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great source. :)
Yes I would vote for tax on prostitution!
I'm a bit mixed on whether or not it should be legal, because of the ease with which it could be exploited in cases of human trafficking.  However I do believe it should be decriminalized, by which I mean, rather than throwing a 16-year-old girl in the joint for soliticiation, go after the pimp and throw him/her in jail for trafficking.
I couldn't agree with you more!
This is a very good point, hadn't thought about the human trafficking angle.  But if it were well regulated it seems that that could be addressed through careful regulation and monitoring. 

If it were an ordinary place of business, with W2 forms, ID req'd, tax forms, probably licensing, etc, it'd be HARDER not easier, to grab illegals and minors who do not want to work as prostitutes.

Exactly.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.  In countries in which prostitution is not done in secrecy (for example, Thailand), human trafficking is rampant (this according to a US State Department report on trafficking issued last year, as well as in previous years).  I don't believe people are exploited because of the secrecy.  I believe people are exploited because there's money to be had, just as in running weapons or drugs; and exploiters are hard to catch because they know how to hide.

I seriously doubt that requiring W2s, taxes, IDs, etc. will make the already existing (and prospering) underground cease to be underground.  If pimps aren't concerned with the welfare of the people they buy and sell as commodities, they'll hardly bother with tax paperwork.

Sure, but they'll run out of customers pretty quick. Hiring a prostitute in current circumstances can be dangerous for many different reasons, and I think that the customers would appreciate a safer way to do it.

And I don't think that prostitution in Thailand is really controlled by anybody except the pimps.

I think you misunderstand me. I didn't say it was legal in Thailand; I merely said that it wasn't done in secrecy, to counter your argument that "Humans are already being exploited, because in most states, prostitution is done in secrecy."

I don't think it's true that no kids are trafficked in Las Vegas, nor that no illegals being forced into it. The U.S. Justice Department appears to agree with me, as do this listing at Change.org and this article from a Las Vegas news source. In fairness, I don't have very hard numbers as to how much of this goes on vs. how much legal & regulated prostitution goes on (that's the problem of things happening underground; they're underground). But I think I can safely say that it does go on, and that the statement "People are not being kidnapped and dragged in there" is incorrect.

Also, to be fair, I personally can't state from any qualified position whether or not for a fact legal prostitution makes it easier or harder for traffickers. But I do think it's a myth that legalization has removed or will remove pimps/traffickers; if anything it's driven them away from the public eye to the point that (at least some) people think illegal trafficking doesn't happen at all.

I want to see what sort of hard data I can find from organizations who make it their day-to-day work to know and to do something about such issues, because this whole discussion has piqued my interest as to whether or not data can support the suggestion that legalized prostitution makes it more or less difficult for human trafficking to flourish.

Intelligence Squared US had this debate:

http://intelligencesquaredus.org/index.php/past-debates/its-wrong-t...

It was a good one.

It should be legalized and regulated. 

I have never paid for nor been paid for sex. 

I must say that I do find the whole idea of paying for sex or being paid for sex somewhat icky....please don't judge me.....

Yes, it should be legal. I agree with Jean Marie's reasons why.

No I have never hired a prostitute, however I have hired strippers, as I use to manage a bar in which we had an occasional, fun night for the costumers. I do not see strippers and prostitutes as one in the same though.. 

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Simon Mathews 37 minutes ago. 1 Reply

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 14 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service