Proposed Satanic monument revealed for Oklahoma capitol grounds.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/07/satanists-unveil-design-fo...

"The Satanists' proposed monument depicts Baphomet, a goat-headed pagan idol sitting on a 7-foot-tall throne inscribed with an inverted pentagram. In an artist's rendering provided by the Satanic Temple, smiling children look adoringly at the devilish figure."

Those in opposition to the proposed statue say that the basis for denying the erection of this very controversial statue is that it offers no historical significance to the state of Oklahoma, as that presented by the Christian monument displaying the Ten Commandments. Certainly there must be other criteria that offers equal validity to the erection of monuments on public property. 

This proposal by the Church of Satan offers an excellent example of how we must cater to all religious sects or none at all. It would be interesting to the see the chagrin on the face of Chief Justice Antonin Scalia, a staunch Catholic, when they discuss the merits of this latest proposed addition to the lawn of the Oklahoma capitol grounds. 

Would the Supreme Court find in favor for the Church of Satan?

Tags: Church, Satan, Scalia, monument, of, statue

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The Satanists' proposed monument depicts Baphomet, a goat-headed pagan idol sitting on a 7-foot-tall throne inscribed with an inverted pentagram. In an artist's rendering provided by the Satanic Temple, smiling children look adoringly at the devilish figure."

Pictured below.

If they do erect that on public land, I will have to go there to have my picture taken with it.  It is fantastic.

T-shirts!

That's fantastic!

Magnificent!

The expression on the kid's face is priceless.

You're right!  What I also love is the goat-dude's hands. 

The gleeful kids flanking the seated, horned demon reminds me a little of Jack Black's band, Tenacious D. Maybe they should throw some chains around the kids' necks and bolt them to the evil one's chair. 

I haven't thought much about this until recently. Would it be wrong to have a plaque that says "Thou shalt not steal", just because it's printed in a holy text? Constitutional issues wrt religion are more clear on something that says anything like "Thou shalt not worship any gods before me". Would it be okay if only common sense blurbs were on it, like "Thou shalt not kill?". Allowing that might be a good way to send the "right" messages in public, right? Don't outlaw statues of Zeus, et al, either.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 11 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service