I was using Google to do some research on the big bang, and I came across a promising looking site, All About Science. The creators of this site have worked very hard to make it look like a legitimate science web site. But it doesn't take long to realize that this is just more Creationist Woo Woo.

I am getting so fed up with all the blatant lying in our society, from the oil companies spending billions to discredit, or obfuscate the science of global warming, to the political lies we see in corporate funded slam ads.

I wish we had a liars' list for all these charlatans. They call it freedom of speech, but it should be illegal! Anyone have any ideas to help expose the hypocracy?

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All true and i never stated that neuroscience can not help us with the function of our brain. explaining consciousness by means of neuroscience is what i find im[possible at this present junction. I have read the research about altering motor skills and disrupting emotions, but does this change who you are inside and out. many claim the inside is the same as the outside, but it never is. people are always someone else inside their minds as to what makes it to the surface when interacting with people.

I don't think using your own research or starting over someones research to take a new direction would slow down progress. there are a great number of scientist who start over just to make sure that the findings are right.
So what are you defining as consciousness? Are you referring to self-awareness?
The reason it's touchy, by the way, is that this feels exactly like the common theist argument "We don't know for sure, therefor God". Similarly, this feels like "I don't think neuroscience will get it soon, therefore woowoo."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FaXD_igv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8-Yxdphsg

Above are the kind of concept that it appears to me you are putting forward (both from Deepak Chopra)
While a good scientist will say something is possible, it is also a good scientist that will use Occom's Razor along with the default position to rule it out unless evidence is found to the contrary.
sadly it really cant. At least not right now.
Yes .. Singh. The libel laws here are in a bit of a state!
Hitler had ideas on how to get ride of them as did Stalin and many others. We just have to combat them with sound science. Which is sometimes hard to do because science itself can be misleading and confuse people. Even people who think they understand science dont look at the bigger picture or jump to quick on a solution that may be wrong. You will never reach everyone but you dont have to. Society works in a massive state of awareness. Once you break through to a large enough body of people the rest will follow.
.. tipping point and all that.
Good to see this pointed out again; I dug into it a little about a year ago.

They really try to make a lot of their articles sound neutral; but then they summarize or close with something that shows they have a Creationist/ID agenda. And on a few they don't even bother being subtle about it.
That is an amazing tool, I'm playing with it now.
That's Despicable.

I sent them an e-mail from their contact page already. If anyone here has a right sense to help out, you can write your own complain about this website to the Department of Education and the Colorado State Government (They're based in Colorado).

E-MAIL:
Please put on a disclaimer on the beginning of the website, which would say the following statement:

"DISCLAIMER: Our website is NOT officially endorsed by the Scientific community; this website goal is to show the 'Religious point-of-view' of Science is, and not the entirety of what science encompass as a whole, nor are we presenting a valid scientific truth."

I've read your articles and all the underlying commentaries for each are incomplete thoughts on scientific knowledge, but are lobbying creationist and intelligent design material - both of which have been repeatedly dismissed by Top-class universities and prominent scientists as Fallacious and not even a real science.

Your deceptions are unacceptable, and I believe it is quite illegal to falsely title your website, "All About Science", when your website does not completely show anything knowledgeable in the pursuit of scientific knowledge.
Jesus, I like this!
Apparently, you can also complain about the website informally through this website:

http://www.sitejabber.com/review-a-website
I wish people were smart enough to recognize that they are being lied to and that their precious upstanding fellow theists are lying to them. I wish that would continue to lead them down the path of thinking and make interesting connections and unravel their whole creationist la-la belief system. I also wish that wishes were dollars 'cause then I could go on a fun European vacation.

RSS

Forum

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 5 minutes ago. 5 Replies

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 5 hours ago. 5 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 6 hours ago. 12 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 11 hours ago. 29 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 12 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service