I was using Google to do some research on the big bang, and I came across a promising looking site, All About Science. The creators of this site have worked very hard to make it look like a legitimate science web site. But it doesn't take long to realize that this is just more Creationist Woo Woo.

I am getting so fed up with all the blatant lying in our society, from the oil companies spending billions to discredit, or obfuscate the science of global warming, to the political lies we see in corporate funded slam ads.

I wish we had a liars' list for all these charlatans. They call it freedom of speech, but it should be illegal! Anyone have any ideas to help expose the hypocracy?

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hypothetically saying if all members of the senate / house of reps were to magically vanish. I wonder what would happen. Who would have the authority. Probably whatever was behind the vanishing of the people in charge i'd say. But I don't know if that could ever happen, it would be like everyone becoming an atheist in one day (:

But if it did, it would be interesting (;
If we could all be rational, we would be just fine! I don't think there can be enough outrage against the liars. I'm particularly peeved with these false scientists. It is one thing to say that religion is faith, that it is a different way of knowing than science. But to fake science, and intentionally use corrupt science to hoodwink people into thinking there is a rational basis for these ideas is unconscionable.
Totally agree, I was suggesting an extremist way of influencing people (: Kill them with kindness is the way I suppose. I really don't understand how people can just believe other people as long as its in the name of god. It makes no sense to me why others don't question things they hear or see in society.
“Reason is the Devil’s greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil’s appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom… Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism… She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets.”

—Martin Luther, Works, Erlangen Edition v. 16, pp. 142-148.

“Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but—more frequently than not—struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.”

—Martin Luther, Table Talks in 1569.

“Heretics are not to be disputed with, but to be condemned unheard, and whilst they perish by fire, the faithful ought to pursue the evil to its source, and bathe their heads in the blood of the Catholic bishops, and of the Pope, who is the devil in disguise.”

—Martin Luther, Table Talks (as quoted in Religious History: An Inquiry by M. Searle Bates, p. 156).
.. and so the fine tradition continues today ....
I forgot to add "This is why people don't question things they hear or see in society"
On that scale, friend, you would a god!
maybe there should be a facebook page, or a stand alone website that is kind of a Snopes of science and addresses/lists these liars.
Agree, TA has free website hosting.. IF someone knows how to do websites (:

I do, but im not good at them and i wouldn't dare keep it updated ):
Perhaps we need a 'certified organic science' stamp to link back to a list of trusted sites and sources.

I mean, ideally we'd be able to teach people how to vet resources, at least at a basic level. I'm pretty sure my mom covers this with her science classes to keep them from citing things like wikipedia or Answers in Genesis. Sadly, there's just something in people that is so convenience seeking; it blinds them (us) to any form of reason that isn't beating them over the head with marketed 'truths'.
I like the idea of selecting experts, and vetting and scoring sites. The infrastructure's already there, as is the social networking aspect of communicating to each other who we think the experts are.

I don't know why it's not happening, yet. Too much choice, and not enough human initiative?

Long ago I thought about starting a website called NoCon for political discussion. As in No Con, and as in No Contribution, i.e. for political candidates to explain their beliefs and platform, and certify that they're taking absolutely NO money for campaigning. I envision getting back to a grass roots style of politics, where big money doesn't buy speech that drowns out speech of candidates with no money.

I'm only mentioning this because I think the direction of civilization is to go back to grass roots, because the internet enables it. Ditto for how we eventually choose to educate ourselves on any and all issues.

Just a dream.
It's called BIG THINK look it up, full of scientist and skeptics on all forms of science.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Noel 2 hours ago. 17 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 5 hours ago. 62 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 9 hours ago. 45 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service