A question for all of you! This question is inspired by something that happened to me a few years ago but came back up in a recent conversation with my podcasting partner.

I used to want to go to school for childcare and have worked in a couple daycare centers. I was jobless at this time and looking in a newspaper for a job. I found an ad for a Christian daycare for a religious teachers assistant. I was with a religious friend of mine and jokingly asked him what he would do if I applied for this job. He looked at me in all seriousness and told me that if I did it, he would find a way to report me or something (to who?) and begged me not to 'corrupt children.'

The question is this; If you were desperate for a job, would you pretend to have a religion? If you would, and say you can pick whatever religion, which would it be and why?

The other part is if you say no. I understand why you would say no, you would be giving up to a degree, and perhaps messing with your values. But heres my thought. A lot of religious people will stupidly and stubbornly not give up on there godliness even if it means a life or death situation. Are we just as bad if we wont pretend we believe for the sake of living?

My answer, I'd totally pretend especially if it was temporary. I'd play it up, make a character, a parody if you will. Work on my acting skills ;p

Tags: act, acting, childcare, god, job, pretend, religion

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha awesome comment toward the friend lol.
I can appreciate the problem and understand why you would have to do this. As you find what you want to do in life, I can't encourage you enough to get a pile of certifications. Plan on spending 5 Saturday's a year in classes. The next thing you know, you'll have a dozen things on your resume when others have just a couple things. Eventually, your qualifications will stand out to the point where you can do whatever you want. The company will develop business around your certs and the company will need you, more than their opinion.

My biggest problem is that I run into things on the job, such as super-materialistic religious songs, which, if I want to comment on them, I have to carefully phrase my question so it seems like I'm against rich people, not christians. Similarly, I was able to talk about how upset Fundamentalist Mormons made me, but they simply assumed I was your regular anti-mormon christian.

Pretend? No. Outright lie? No. But keep my mouth shut? Yeah, I'm decent at it. It's because my own parents and grandparents wouldn't accept it if I said anything, I've gotten really good at fading into the background.

I have been in that situation.  I applied for a teaching job in a Christian school because they were desperate for somebody of my qualifications; they even said that my religious beliefs didn't matter.  The first thing I told them in an interview was that I would NOT participate in any kind of religious observance.  End of interview.
After introducing himself to the faculty our new principal told everyone to stand and join him in prayer. I stood and walked out. I will live to regret this career mistake, but I know what I did was right.

LS,

You need to start keeping a detailed diary of everything that happens to you on the job, especially your interactions with the believers.  Also, document everything you can in an official manner wherever and whenever possible.  Find out what sort of official documentation procedures are official, common, or accepted.  You should contact a good employment lawyer for advice as well as FFRF and the ACLU.

Suffering discrimination is an ongoing tribulation for those openly atheistic. I have a woodworking business that requires me to visit people at their homes for appraisals, etc. I noticed a potential client's vehicle had a sticker proclaiming "America: Believe GOD!" If she had known my of atheistic stance I would of never got the invite. In my area (Arkansas) it can be dangerous physically and economically to let the local communities know what I think about their gods. People around here take their religion extremely seriously and are phobic towards those such as myself. I have to be careful about what I say. Even an errant goddamn or Jesus Christ expletive can be a deal breaker.....  :^ (

I hate to think of how often your chosen field leads to clients comparing you to Jesus.  Just don't let them nail you to a cross.  :)

In my case , faking it isn't new to me ! I do this everyday because I simply cannot tell people in my country that I am atheist.

If I were  too desperate for a job , i would  certainly fake it  even if I lived in a different country where being atheist isn't ''relatively'' a taboo or a crime !!

Wow... that sucks...

yeah , it sucks and sometimes it gets funny !! lol

uhmmm....hi!

i suggest don't do it.even the pretending part:)

but if you really want that job then just try it and be honest to them.

if you got accepted then thats good. if not just accept it:)

be a good atheist LOL:) or just be a good human. (or a Zombie as your name ):

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Cato Rigas 39 minutes ago. 34 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service