Edit:Problem is solved, but feel free to reply with any opinions.***

-------------------

On christmas I told my mom that I wasn't going to pray when it was time for dinner. She respectfully said "That's fine", and went on with her day. When it was time to eat she made everyone hold hands, I said "I'm not praying" she said "You don't have to, but hold hands". I refused and everyone at the table started to glare at me, then start yelling at me till I caved in. 

I know it's not technically praying if I hold hands, but it still feels like I'm partaking in an activity that I don't want to be apart of. I don't have a problem with them praying, let them do what they want, but don't make me do join you. And I know this is going to sound completely trivial to a lot of people, but it's still the fucking concept. I mean christians wouldn't hold hands with Muslims to pray, so why should they expect me to do the same? I know my sister just goes along with it (She's an atheist as well), and some of you might. But for what reasons should I HAVE to?

When I approached my mother afterwards I merely said "Why did you make me do that, why did you make me pray?". She got hostile towards me, even though my tone was normal. She responded with "You weren't praying, and if you don't want to take part in this family then you can go sit in the corner". I just stopped talking about it after that, I feel like I've just been pressured into something that makes me feel uncomfortable (even if it is a very small issue). 

So should I show resistance and go sit in a corner next time this happens, or should I follow the way of the sheep? 

Tags: christmas, dinner, family, forced, mom, pray, pressured, problems, to

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I like holding hands with my family, whom I love.  You shouldn't do anything you don't want to do, and I think it was a good idea to speak to your mother alone afterwards rather than make a huge scene.  It's unfortunate she was so upset by it.  Anyway, I don't see a big deal in holding hands.  I wouldn't bow my head or mumble along or anything.  I like to watch people openly when they pray.  It's fascinating to me.  But again, you shouldn't do anything you don't feel comfortable with. 

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service