I'm doing a research study for school that will explore who atheists are within the constructs of positive psychology.  I'm only at the topic selection phase of the process, so please forgive me for not being able to provide too much information yet on the specifics of the study.  There seems to be quite a bit of ambiguity in the definitions of the terminology related to atheism (and theism too for that matter).  I'm thinking of using a term other than "atheist" throughout my research.  One that comes to mind initially is "non-theist."  One of the primary reasons I'm thinking of using something other than "atheist" is because of the negative connotations associated with the word.  I don't know exactly who my audience will be, and this is for a grade (doctoral dissertation, and the committee doesn't get selected until well into the process).  What are your thoughts on terminology?  What might be a good synonym for atheist that doesn't "offend" the possible theists/religionists who may sit on my degree conferral panel (I'd really like to graduate!)?  Or would you  just stick with the term "atheist?"  Any feedback would be welcome, thanks!

Views: 419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe "irreligious" or "non-religious", though this may include some theists.

"Secular" or "humanist" could be alternatives too.
Are you going to be discussing the terminology in your study? It sounds like you should use the term atheist and describe why there is a negative connotation associated with this term. Considering why the negative psychology exists would be appropriate if you're looking to find the positive as well. Also, if there are theists on your review panel, they may appreciate the logical reasoning behind the terminology and its modern connotations amongst different groups (and they may be less likely to judge negatively if they are thinking about how shallow that negative thinking is).

I suggest using the term atheist at least a little bit. Many of us also use the terms secular humanist, non-theist, and rational thinker. I don't personally like the term irreligious, but to each their own.
Thanks for all the feedback, I'm loving it. There is no one to bounce around questions like this in my world, and I so appreciate it! I will probably be tossing it around for a while, since it will be a while before I have a committee... I have a while to finalize the terminology. I'm going to start out with "atheist" and see how that plays out. Maybe I'll get lucky: Psychology is a lot like the hard sciences in that there are proportionately more atheists (and other similar terms!) in this field than in the general population.
Thanks andy, my research will be about people who don't believe in a deity.

I sometimes define myself as agnostic, only because I'm open to any forthcoming evidence (which could change my mind, but I'm not holding my breath). I also define myself as atheist, because right now I don't believe (no evidence to support belief). Am I confusing the definition of agnosticism? I imagine this question is answered somewhere on this site, but would appreciate feedback here nonetheless :-) (I guess what I'm really wondering is should I include self-described agnostics in this study)
That's exactly right Nelson. They are separate things, so you don't need to be either an atheist or an agnostic. You can be any one of the following: gnostic theist, agnostic theist, gnostic atheist and agnostic atheist. Personally, I think that both gnostic theists and gnostic atheists are a little deranged, if you know what I mean. Of course that you can say you know that gods don't exists, but in the colloquial meaning of the term, not in the philosophical one. I can't see how you could absolutely know, without the slightest uncertainty, anything at all. There's always the possibility, even if it's extremely improbable that you might be wrong.

I think that, from this absolute point of view, every sane atheist would call himself/herself an agnostic atheist.
I think Radu pretty much hit it spot on when he said "'Secular' or 'humanist'".
Non-delusional.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service