I heard from someone that the "originial" christians were gnostics, and that the Roman empire essentially slaughtered  them all to establish their own version of christianity, from which the orthodox faith arose.  So essentially if this is true, what is now considered Christianity is really the antithesis to what it originally was, and gnostics have a right to call modern Christians believers in the antichrist.  I do not know if this is actually true but it wouldn't surprise me.  What do you guys think/know? 

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tend to think of antichrist by a more broad definition of a single person or thing that brings great suffering to the entire world. To me there have been many and that includes all of the popes and religion in general.
There were numerous schools of thought in early Christianity (1st, 2nd, 3rd centuries CE), mostly defined by how they viewed the nature of Jesus. Some of these views were:

Marcionism – Christ was a purely spiritual entity
Nestorianism – Jesus and Christ were two different entities
Docetism – Jesus appeared physical, but he was really incorporeal
Apollinarism – Jesus had a human body and human soul, but a divine mind
Arianism- Jesus was the son of God, not God himself
Catholicism – Jesus was fully human and fully divine, both God and the son of God
(info from http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5K0Tw1/rationalrevolution.net/article...)

Gnosticism was not limited to Christianity. It was actually an entirely separate religious idea which had a large impact on some early Christian groups (see the wikipedia article for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism).

The Catholics just happened to be the group that won out when Christian dogma was being decided upon. So, to answer the original question, pope=/=antichrist, but rather, pope=dude with funny hat and supposed connection to skydaddy
great! thanks for the links

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service