Take a good hard look into the life of new pope. To give an overview he thinks that:

Homosexuality is still a sin. He tells people to respect homosexuals, but whent the Argintinian government is going to make sam-sex marriage legal he says, "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

During his early life he gave up all his fancy posetions (personal cook, facy place to live, chauffeured limo) and made a pledge of poverty. This sounds awefully noble right? Wrong, look at why he had those things to start out with (because he was a cardinal). Think about what the Bible verson of Jesus would have done. He probably wouldn't have even considered giving those things out to preachers of his word anyway. So denying riches should be something that cardinals and popes HAVE to do an shouldn't be praised for. By the way, the pledge of poverty meant that he just had to live like everyone else in the community (what a saint -- sarcasm)

Lastly, there was a criminal complaint filed against him by a human rights lawyer for the abduction of two Jesuit priests. However, there was no evidence to prove that he had anything to do with it. :)

Please leave your thoughts and comments on the new pope

Tags: argentina, atheism, catholic, christian, church, corruption, francis, pope, power, religion, More…the, zealots

Views: 2928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Then I'm afraid you didn't learn it very well. Want to demonstrate that the science of gravity is just a theory? Go jump off a tall building and let us know how that worked out for you.

Science IS "the opposite to religion" science changes as new things are learned, religion never does. Ever hear of anyone who went into the Bible and changed the part in the book of Joshua that said the sun stood still for hours? We now know that it's the rotation of the earth that makes the sun appear to move - science teaches us that - but in the Bronze Age, it was believed the sun revolved around the earth, and that for the day to become longer, required that the sun stand still. Have you heard of any plans to change that passage, now that new information is available?

Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, written in 1905, predicted a static universe - one that was, is, and will always be the same. But in 1920, Edwin Hubble proved that the galaxies were moving away from each other, indicating that the universe had been different in the past, and would become even more different in the future, totally negating the idea of a static universe. Einstien amended his equations to reflect that - science is not afraid of change, religion is.

not science of....Im talking about what Science is. Science is not the opposite of religion. Science is a "study" to try explain why things are. Religion in reference to Christianity is about how life should be lived and to outline how we were created and everything we know was created. I dont remember the bible saying the sun revolved around the earth. You made reference to what someone said, which is just that, thats what he said. Joshua had nothing to do with creation. In the beginning god created light. That was the very first thing he created. Of all things that could have been created he creates light? Why is this important?

In Quantum Physics at the sub atomic level light holds atoms together. At that level all the laws of science go out the window. So if all the laws of science that exist in our physical realm why would atoms be any different?

Einstein was never afraid of change, the bible isnt afraid of changing  either because it doesnt need to. 

RE: "I dont remember the bible saying the sun revolved around the earth." - it doesn't, but in the book of Joshua, a battle was being fought, but for the Jews to win, they needed more time. Chapter 10 tells us that god made the sun stand still so the day would be longer - can you tell me, if the sun wasn't believed to revolve around the Earth, how it standing still or moving would have any effect on the length of the day?

RE: "Of all things that could have been created he creates light? Why is this important?" - so he could see what the hell he was doing?

RE: "In Quantum Physics at the sub atomic level light holds atoms together." - Nieis Bohr and Richard Feynman just rolled over in their graves, laughing their asses off!

RE: "the bible isnt afraid of changing  either because it doesnt need to" - you have so, SO much to learn, and i don't have time to teach it to you --

In Quantum Physics at the sub atomic level light holds atoms together. At that level all the laws of science go out the window. So if all the laws of science that exist in our physical realm why would atoms be any different?

Archaeopteryx is correct here; many physicists are spinning in their graves right now.  Electromagnetism, in the form of positive and negative electrical charges (not "light" which is but one entirely different manifestation of electromagnetism) does keep the electrons near a nucleus, but it's the Strong Nuclear Force which keeps any nucleus bigger than ordinary hydrogen (protium, one proton, zero neutrons) from flying apart in a split instant--because electromagnetism (which you miscall "light") would cause the protons to repel each other.  Then of course there are all those pesky neutrons which might come apart into protons and electrons, that's governed by the weak nuclear force.  The bible says nothing about these.  Science does maintain that the universe was in such a state that it wasn't transparent to light until 300,000 years after the Big Bang; those other forces had to sort things out up til then.

As an aside it clearly doesn't matter where you learned your science.  Same city as Rutherford when he did his work?  Cool.  Doesn't make you a scientist or even mean you have a clue about it.  Alas Rutherford wasn't tutoring people when you desperately needed it.

So, J Mc, you could really go either way when it comes to choosing a sexual partner?  I mean it's just a choice you make each time?  Sounds like you must be perfectly bisexual.

In christianity being gay is the same as lying. Its weird how when people start talking about sexual preferences it gets blown out of proportion.

So I'm OK, then?

Yes but who has the authority to put them to death? Does it say who can put them to death?

What kind of cop out is that? "Oh ya you got me there, fags deserve death but god didn't tell us who can kill em tho so it's ok!"

not a cop out. You have to understand the bible in its entirety. When you get to the story of Jesus, he puts an emphasis on the more important aspects which ties everything in the bible together. What most people fail at when understanding the bible is you cant take one part and ignore another. Its almost as if the bible holds a secret message of enlightenment but you wont get it from picking it apart but more so by reading it as a whole to understanding its message. Problems arise especially by christians that get mislead who focus on one part of the bible and totally neglect other parts. 

Its a bit like reading multiple books about the same topic to make you see the most important message of christianity which can be expressed with one word. Love. Anything that causes one to deter from that word is most likely walking down the wrong path. 

Christians used to hammer into me that if you dont believe in Christ that you will surely go to hell. But what they didnt mention was that it also says "only god judges who goes to heaven and hell". Then I found a clip of some atheist dude that supposedly died in hospital. His experience was that he felt like he was going into a dark and lonely place and the only thing that he could think of was sunday school where he went as a child so he started to sing "Yes jesus loves me" knowing full well what may have been happening. Then he said he saw light and god spoke to him. 

Now if this guys story is true, that means, just because your atheist doesnt mean you will go to hell by default and that it is decided by god himself so who knows. Which makes more sense. Its also said that not many people will make it to heaven. Thats probably the only thing that scares me about christianity. Apparently just being christian isnt enough because like you guys always say "Christians always say the stupidest things and do the most harmful things in humanity" 

Its a bit like reading multiple books about the same topic to make you see the most important message of christianity which can be expressed with one word. Love.

Right, let's see.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (kjv)

Translated:

"If a man loves another man, it's an abomination and they must be put to death."

Ya, quite the book about love you got there. The only thing that can get you killed is.. oh wait.. love.

Then I found a clip of some atheist dude that supposedly died in hospital. His experience was that he felt like he was going into a dark and lonely place and the only thing that he could think of was sunday school where he went as a child so he started to sing "Yes jesus loves me" knowing full well what may have been happening. Then he said he saw light and god spoke to him. Now if this guys story is true, t

It's not. Your kind tends to make up a ton of these death-bed-conversion lies about almost everybody. It's one of the most detestably dishonest and pathetic acts imaginable really.

Imagine us making up stories of how your mom said "oh shit there is no jesus!" just after she took her last breath and then died. How'd you feel? We don't do that though.

And I know you people tend to pad your sentences and digress as to distract from the issue but that won't work very well here. You have not addressed my original point.

You essentially said "yes homos deserve death but we don't know who's allowed to kill them."

That's it?

Here's the problem I have with that, J Mc, the Gospels make it clear that Yeshua (possibly you call him by his Greek name, Jesus) believed the Old Testament stories of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob/Israel and Moses, but there is SO much proof now that those were made-up bullshit stories, that we know that even if Yeshua ever actually existed, and there's some doubt about that as well, he could most certainly not have been any kind of divine being, or he would have not been taken in by the bs.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 3 minutes ago. 92 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service