Take a good hard look into the life of new pope. To give an overview he thinks that:

Homosexuality is still a sin. He tells people to respect homosexuals, but whent the Argintinian government is going to make sam-sex marriage legal he says, "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

During his early life he gave up all his fancy posetions (personal cook, facy place to live, chauffeured limo) and made a pledge of poverty. This sounds awefully noble right? Wrong, look at why he had those things to start out with (because he was a cardinal). Think about what the Bible verson of Jesus would have done. He probably wouldn't have even considered giving those things out to preachers of his word anyway. So denying riches should be something that cardinals and popes HAVE to do an shouldn't be praised for. By the way, the pledge of poverty meant that he just had to live like everyone else in the community (what a saint -- sarcasm)

Lastly, there was a criminal complaint filed against him by a human rights lawyer for the abduction of two Jesuit priests. However, there was no evidence to prove that he had anything to do with it. :)

Please leave your thoughts and comments on the new pope

Tags: argentina, atheism, catholic, christian, church, corruption, francis, pope, power, religion, More…the, zealots

Views: 3110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Possibly my own views summarize your statement above - I don't recognize states such as "good" or "bad," "right" or "wrong," as these are indefinable and as such, not quantifiable. I do find that the terms, "helpful" and "harmful" are.

Yes, that is well put.

Aside from which god and verifying that such a being exists - if we just shortcut and assume the god of your cult then he/it definitely saw polygamy and incest as viable choices.

RE: "a religious perspective based on a few thousand years of social experimentation and testing" - it has indeed been that, Bob, and overall, unless one is cherry-picking, it must be said that that perspective has been found seriously wanting.

And yet as theories go, remarkably successful.  Far more successful than atheism. 

Because the religious perspective tells us about heart warming love-stories about women marrying their rapists and getting taken as booty after war right? Yeah, atheism lacks that.

Quite likely because unlike religion, atheism neither has or seeks a power-base from which to enforce edicts for 2000 years. But are forced achievements really success?

Would a loving God choose "love" between a man and multiple female partners/spouses as the best choice, the one to aspire to, do you think?

According to the bible, yes.

a lot of the comments seem to be geared towards the homosexuality paragraph, i wasted many hours of my youth in bible studies, and the bible does say its a sin. maybe if gay is your thing you might want to find a religion that agrees with you, instead of denying what your 'holy' bible says. idc what your sexual prefrence or religion is, but it seems moronic to claim you follow the bibles teachings when blatantly doing the opposite.

I don' believe that anyone here, Dave, claims to follow the bible's teachings or even wants to - I'm guessing that's what Think Atheist actually means --

i would assume that. yet this is a thread about the pope, which is religion and of course our ancestors 'mother goose' storybook goes hand in hand.

We sometimes tend to wander a bit off-thread - SteveinCO is especially bad about that --

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 1 hour ago. 18 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 4 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service